Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Saratoga

Default To jump, or not to jump...

From SCMP.....

Thoughts?

Trainer vows to kill horses

Agence France-Presse in Sydney

An Australian trainer has threatened to kill his horses and send their heads to racing industry leaders if jumps racing is banned.

Racing over jumps was suspended on Thursday after Grand Annual Steeplechase runner Clearview Bay became the third jumper to die at the three-day Warrnambool racing carnival in Victoria state.

The decision was taken by Racing Victoria Limited (RVL), the governing body, which will make an announcement on the sport's future next week.

The suspension was backed by state Premier John Brumby and Racing Minister Rob Hulls, who have been accused of putting pressure on RVL. Warrnambool horse trainer David Londregan told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation yesterday his livelihood would be destroyed and he would be forced to have several horses put down if the sport was banned.

"I'm going to have to shoot my horses and I will, well I'm threatening to, send a head or two around the countryside to the powers [that] be, just to remind them what damage they are doing to our horses," he said.

"All the would-be greenies and everyone else that are against jumps racing, they just don't realise how well we look after our horses and how much we love our horses."

Australian Jumps Racing Association president Rodney Rae warned of a court action against RVL if it closed jumps racing this season.

"RVL has given an undertaking to the industry that the 2009 season would go ahead and on that basis hundreds of horses have been put into work and millions of dollars has been invested," he said. "If RVL reneges on its undertaking I have no doubt there will be a massive class action against them."

Rae said the sport's safety record had improved significantly, with an average of seven or eight horses killed each year since modular jumps were brought in six years ago. Previously, there were up to 23 deaths a season

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...s20090509b.asp