Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Randwyck

Dts,
Not a problem at all. I know everyone gets riled up especially when compounded with the stress of the day. I appreciate the apology. Your right, there is no logic to the fighting over there. I'm not even sure if they know why they are fighting. The problem is, someone is going to esclate it and its going to be a problem for the whole world. I just don't think that the U.N. saying don't shoot each other is going to be enough. I personally can't imagaine hating a group of people so much that I would kill myself just to kill a few of them. Its completely senseless.

Regarding your terrorist comment, I agree that the israelis have acted in a terrorist manner but so has the palestians, syrians, iranians, and hezbollah. I would even lump the U.S. Into that group. When you start thinking about our seal teams or cia teams that we know nothing about, they could be perpetuating some major mayhem. I just think it all depends on what point of view your using. The israeli's think they are being attacked which gives them all the right to use any force neccessary to stop that threat. I understand that. Hezbollah thinks they are on a mission from god. I understand that too, I certainly don't agree with that, but i can understand their point of view.Thats whats scary. I can understand both points of views and i honestly believe that both will use whatever means neccessary to accomplish their goals.

I'm not a super big fan of bush, I like some of the stuff he has done but the majority of it I'm not a fan of. One thing i do agree on though, is the fact that tehran must not develope nucleur weapons. That can only end very badly, because if they are willing to sell them to either the highest bidder, or a terrorist group, the world will be in a great deal of trouble.
Your always free to disagree with my opinions, thats what makes america so great. Everyone can think how they want and i think that makes us such a diverse place. So much knowledge can be gained by simply listening to other people and their opinions
Old 08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Hialeah Park

Skippy,
Thanks for stating your opinions clearly. that's what we ALL enjoy as Americans...freedom to voice our views (1st amendment).
As far as labeling any country or group as "terrorist"...seems to me all parties have proven intent, and like so many things that one wishes to deny and point ot the actons of others...it all stinks.

On your last point about Iran not yet having nuclear weapons...I'm not too sure about that. My guess is that others aren't as well. If they were sure, it would be like the bombing raid that Israel launched in the 80's against the power plant in Iraq..and we know how that turned out. The resentment remains to this day in the minds of many people of the region.

Right now, caution is the only strategy that might work. Talking via an intermediary like Egypt or Jordan could also help.

DTS
Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Randwyck

I agree completely with mediation. We need someone besides a european power or the U.S. to mediate. I'm just not sure how many could do it objectively.

I can't decide if Iran has nucleur weapons. It's very hard to read through the spin that both parties put on it. I think if bush had any evidence at all he would already be bombing the hell out of where he thinks they are. But its quite possible they could. I obviously have no contacts in that area so my opinions are just pure speculation.

All in all i'm not sure how the rest of the world would react to hard knowledge of WMD. China and Russia are friendly right now but it would scare the hell out of me because anyone could rule iran at any time. And that would scare the hell out of me as a leader of a country. I have a hard time telliny any country they can't have anything, but when the president of your country starts telling the world he wants to wipe countries off the planet, i start sweating a bit. It's just tough all around. I'm very glad i dont have to make the decisions because i would have an extremely hard time.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
ok, Skippy, here's a couple questions for you:

1. Why the heck is the best the Israelis could do was fighting these guys to a draw?
2. Where did the Israeli resolve to win this war go?
3. Why the heck do the Israels love to negotiate so much? They gave up 400 prisoners for Elhanin a couple years back. 400!!!
4. So you know ANYTHING about the hundreds of Arab prisoners held illegally by Israel? Do you think the world, or at least the Arab world, should stand by idly while this goes on and on and on?
1. As skippy stated, they could carpet bomb the country flat. They happen to have a sense of some morality and choose to try and avoid killing innocents. They held back big time. And Hezbollah uses the Western penchant to try and limit civilian casualties to its fullest advantage.

2. This is not over. Israel is giving France, Russia, China and the UN a chance to resolve the issue. When it is not resolved and they get rocketed again, there will be no doubt about the resolve to wipe S. Lebanon clean. And then make plans to do it again, and again. This thing is not over for the Israelis until they feel safe from rockets. Bottom line.

3. This is a very good point. Huge mistake negotiating with terrorists. May have even led to this whole mess. All Hezbollah may have wanted is some prisoners back. But the timing of the kidnapping was horrible.

4. Hundreds of Arabs held illegal in Israel? Holy ****skiis. Syria holds 10X more Arab prisoners illegally... Almost every country in that region holds more people illegally... Holy MOses. Iraq under Saddam held so many people and tortured them... this one was from left field STS.

Your a good man but #4 is just out there.

Hezbollah has gained credibility in regions where credibility means nothing.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
I am about as far away as you can get from being "terrified".

The planes were deployed, armed and airborne in 73. If the Arabs crossed the Jordan there would have been a new map in the Middle East.

What you are terrified of has been on the table for 6 weeks, and CONTINUES to stay right there.
And dumb as the terrorists are ...

... some day they'll provide good reason for it to "fall off" the table ...

... and then there'll be lots of "fall out."