Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Hollywood Park

Default my take of game winner

last year from races 1 thru 4, i couldnt get enough of this horse, loved the grind, loved the power, and i still think he has those qualities, but ive noticed 2 things with this horse, i dont know if its him or its the jockey for the first thing ill mention,,
number 1, game winner likes freinds he likes to have company around him and doesnt really like to go by when he gets there
meaning of course when there heading for home,,
and number 2,
everytime i look back at replays of his races, ive never see him not being 3,4 or 5 wide, regardless of where the race is , hes 5 wide out of the gate, hes 4 wide, after a quarter, hes back to 5 wide down the back side, oh oh ,,hes improved, only 3 wide now at the top of lane, and always outside of horses to the finish,,does anyone know if hes ever raced less feet then anyone hes gone up against?
i know bob b, is wothout a doubt, our number 1 trainer , but geez, you would think hed get rosario into a room and say hey, let him be introduced to the rail, start saving some ground, hes got enough grind and power to get going when it counts,, it has to take its toll on the horse being constantly on the fans side every step
does anyone agree/ or am i just blowing smoke?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
last year from races 1 thru 4, i couldnt get enough of this horse, loved the grind, loved the power, and i still think he has those qualities, but ive noticed 2 things with this horse, i dont know if its him or its the jockey for the first thing ill mention,,
number 1, game winner likes freinds he likes to have company around him and doesnt really like to go by when he gets there
meaning of course when there heading for home,,
and number 2,
everytime i look back at replays of his races, ive never see him not being 3,4 or 5 wide, regardless of where the race is , hes 5 wide out of the gate, hes 4 wide, after a quarter, hes back to 5 wide down the back side, oh oh ,,hes improved, only 3 wide now at the top of lane, and always outside of horses to the finish,,does anyone know if hes ever raced less feet then anyone hes gone up against?
i know bob b, is wothout a doubt, our number 1 trainer , but geez, you would think hed get rosario into a room and say hey, let him be introduced to the rail, start saving some ground, hes got enough grind and power to get going when it counts,, it has to take its toll on the horse being constantly on the fans side every step
does anyone agree/ or am i just blowing smoke?
Nope. I agree. Two ways to look at it: (1) He’s always going to give up ground and in a field of 20, it’s better to look elsewhere. Or (2) If he ever gets a shorter trip, he’ll be tough to beat.

I kind of look at it the first way.

On the flip side, a horse like Long Range Toddy almost always seems to figure out a way to get to the rail. He uses his tactical speed to get position and then finishes well. Interesting horse, imo. I may bet him in the Arkansas Derby since I expect him to get some pace to finish off.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Santa Anita

I can't remember every aspect of his races, but is it possible he's not a fan of being inside other horses? Is it what the horse prefers?
Old 04-08-2019, 03:55 PM
The Curragh

It does look like he pulled himself up a bit after making the lead if you keep watching after the wire seems like he runs on again and does outgallop Roadster.

But yes he's always been kept wide and in the clear,which his talent has been able to overcome. I wouldn't mess around during the Derby and try to get some inside position, I would just want him free and clear in some forward position. You can expect Baffert to tighten up the screws and get him in peak running condition in May, Baffert himself said that he's been easy with this horse so far with respect to the program he usually has them on. My perceived observation past the finish line still gives me hope for this horse, plus hopefully Joel will know exactly how to time the move in Churchill should the horse run its race.