Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2024, 06:55 AM
Steve Byk

Default 8/29, 31 (KYD): Tapit; Ladies Sprint (G2), Nashville Derby, Ladies Turf (G3's)

Old 08-27-2024, 06:55 AM
Steve Byk

Old 08-27-2024, 02:38 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Question for anyone that may know the answer. I’m not familiar with Kentucky Downs. I’ve heard of it but haven’t paid any attention to racing there. I’m looking at these purses for their races and it makes me wonder why they aren’t a bigger deal as far as drawing the top horses in the country? Hell, in the world. I get that the track configuration is not a traditional layout and actually resembles a European style track but with that being said, I would think that, along with the purses, would have European horses fighting for spots in these races. So what gives?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-27-2024, 06:25 PM
Del Mar

King, here's my guess:
1. Location: Not the easiest place to get to and wonder any prep availability there.
2. Lots of big races compete with Saratoga and Del Mar.
3. I think cost of Euros would not be worthit compared to what they have.
4. Still usually some big horses during the meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Question for anyone that may know the answer. I’m not familiar with Kentucky Downs. I’ve heard of it but haven’t paid any attention to racing there. I’m looking at these purses for their races and it makes me wonder why they aren’t a bigger deal as far as drawing the top horses in the country? Hell, in the world. I get that the track configuration is not a traditional layout and actually resembles a European style track but with that being said, I would think that, along with the purses, would have European horses fighting for spots in these races. So what gives?
Old 08-28-2024, 05:31 AM
Steve Byk

Topic was literally discussed yesterday with IRB's (Intl Racing Bureau) Adrian Beaumont. Euro participation at KyD is growing annually and will have the most runners yet this season. Even though the structure is tilted towards Kentucky breds with the KTDF money, the purses are astronomical compared to anything in Europe.

One reason some outfits have bypassed the meet with top horses in the past is the uncertainty of their stars to take to the course. Horses can get tentative on the steep downhill portion of the layout and horsemen say you don't know how they'll react to it until you try them on it.

With plenty of pre-BC graded opportunities on grass at DMR/SA, SAR/BAQ, WO & KEE, not everyone has rushed to the KY-TN border to run. But with these stakes hitting multi million dollar levels, it's getting harder to stay away.