Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
thanks rand...but I don't fight old men, I was taught to respect my elders...that is, as long as they continue to deserve respect.
Actually I thought Dixie was a girl on here, tough to know these things....
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Actually I thought Dixie was a girl on here, tough to know these things....
Odd. I thought Dixie and assto were husband and wife.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Dixie Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
if you want to continue to enjoy Steve's hospitality then you should let this go and accept that I have more power here than you.
I assume you know what you "can do with your POWER".

As far as Steve goes, whatever he wants to do, it's his BALL.

Once again, GET LOST................
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

When did this paisjpq person become a moderator?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
I assume you know what you "can do with your POWER".

As far as Steve goes, whatever he wants to do, it's his BALL.

Once again, GET LOST................
I do know what I can do with my "power" have fun taking some time off
Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
When did this paisjpq person become a moderator?
"Paisjpq" has been moderating for the past month and has been a tremendous help maintaining order here. She works in the industry; has total credibility in her knowledge of horses and the game and my full confidence as judge of what we are all trying to accomplish here as a community.

Having just read what went on here, I fully support her decision to give Dixie a week on the bench.. I appreciate everyone's zeal in posting their thoughts and opinions, but as stated numerous times previously, will NOT allow personal attacks and name-calling to rule the day around here...

Steve
Old 10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Lincoln Fields

This is what I don't get when talking about the strength of the field for the BCC. When in the history of the Breeders Cup, when has there ever been a top to bottom top level all multiple Grade I winners? When? It usually includes three maybe four horses that have won the major races in the year and the rest filled up with some Gr II and GrIII horses.
How is this year any different. You are going to have Lava Man, who has won everything on the West Coast, Invasor up until last Saturday has been winning everything on the East Coast, and Bernardini who has been winning everything thrown at him. How is this going to be so weak and what makes this soo different than any other year? I could be way off base but if anyone can show that in such and such a year the Classic had 9 multple GI winners but I don't think you can find one.
IMO this is one of the most anticpated BCC that I can remember. Three horses fianlly all going to meet to decide HOTY and each of the three are very accomplished.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:55 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
This is what I don't get when talking about the strength of the field for the BCC. When in the history of the Breeders Cup, when has there ever been a top to bottom top level all multiple Grade I winners? When? It usually includes three maybe four horses that have won the major races in the year and the rest filled up with some Gr II and GrIII horses.
How is this year any different. You are going to have Lava Man, who has won everything on the West Coast, Invasor up until last Saturday has been winning everything on the East Coast, and Bernardini who has been winning everything thrown at him. How is this going to be so weak and what makes this soo different than any other year? I could be way off base but if anyone can show that in such and such a year the Classic had 9 multple GI winners but I don't think you can find one.
IMO this is one of the most anticpated BCC that I can remember. Three horses fianlly all going to meet to decide HOTY and each of the three are very accomplished.
1998 my man, 1998. That was an allstar field. Maybe not all were in their best form, but it was an allstar field. 1988 wasn't too shabby either.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Sounds good, I just had no idea paisjpq was a moderator. I had always thought Steve and a-team were our benevolent bigger brothers.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
1998 my man, 1998. That was an allstar field. Maybe not all were in their best form, but it was an allstar field. 1988 wasn't too shabby either.
OK is 1998 you had 4 very accomplished horses in that field. This year you have three, so far . Do you see my point.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
2000 was a hell of a field.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
oracle80

Quote:
OK is 1998 you had 4 very accomplished horses in that field. This year you have three, so far . Do you see my point.
yes I do Bos and was only pointing out the 98 running as an allstar field, its most definitely not the rule!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I agree with all of that, but you have to admit that some people just aren't happy any way you look at it. Personally, I think we have been blessed with a few of the most talented 3 year olds I've seen.
Problem is that you are young enough not to have seen the times when horses were truly campaigned not just "managed". Not an insult but the fact is that you were born too late to see what true great horses could accomplish.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants

P.S. And Bernardini's connections aren't innocent of this either. I don't care what anyone says. He wasn't ready for the Derby but magically two weeks later he's ready? Yeah right.

He broke his maiden the first week of March. Where do you suppose he would have got any graded stakes earnings between then and the derby?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He broke his maiden the first week of March. Where do you suppose he would have got any graded stakes earnings between then and the derby?
Oh I forgot they cancelled all of the derby preps between march 21-april 14th.

My bad.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Never EVER will you hear me bashing anyone for skipping the tri crown or a race within that series.
You can see what the tri crown has done to our best three year olds in the past decade. Its no coiincidence that the most accomplished three year olds who went on to do great things in the summer/fall or at age 4, all skipped part or all of the Tri Crown. Messrs Bell, Ferguson and Albertrani(as well as Sheikh Mo) deserve kudos for not rushing him to the Crown. They have been rewarded with a sound animal for that decision. I wish more would follow their lead in the future.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Problem is that you are young enough not to have seen the times when horses were truly campaigned not just "managed". Not an insult but the fact is that you were born too late to see what true great horses could accomplish.

That's the way I feel. I don't want to do that " you're too young to remember " crap but the way people seem to eagerly declare horses as " great " these days when they pale in comparison to horses from earlier eras is a bit frustrating. Sorry, Bernardini is not a great horse at this point in his career and as far as I'm concerned he needs to both run faster and accomplish more in order to move into that imaginary group. It's possible he will, and that would genuinely be exciting, but sadly we've gotten to a point when pretty much no horse is even allowed to establish greatness.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Oh I forgot they cancelled all of the derby preps between march 21-april 14th.

My bad.
He hit the gate when he broke his maiden, don't you think that he may have come out of the race a little sore since they didn't run him back until the 29th? I mean in the history of horseracing so many horses have broke their maiden in March and been pointed directly to the Derby. The fact he was able to win the Preakness in his first two turn race on May 20 was a top achievement
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
That's the way I feel. I don't want to do that " you're too young to remember " crap but the way people seem to eagerly declare horses as " great " these days when they pale in comparison to horses from earlier eras is a bit frustrating. Sorry, Bernardini is not a great horse at this point in his career and as far as I'm concerned he needs to both run faster and accomplish more in order to move into that imaginary group. It's possible he will, and that would genuinely be exciting, but sadly we've gotten to a point when pretty much no horse is even allowed to establish greatness.
It does make you feel a bit old though
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
It does make you feel a bit old though
Yes, but lucky to have seen some horses to give me this perspective.