Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It wouldn't be newsworthy if the Eclipse Award winner and heavy Kentucky Derby favorite had surgery in the winter between his 2 and 3YO seasons? Really? This is on the heels of the same trainer, and his go to jockey, being castigated for a fiasco in one of the highest profile races of the year that specifically dealt with information being withheld from the public. The people who bet tens of thousands of dollars on Uncle Mo in Kentucky Derby Future Pool 1 and in other futures both in Vegas and beyond might have wanted to know that the horse had something going on besides "R and R" this winter in Fla.

Either you believe that the wagering public has the right to know or you don't. What Mike Repole attempted to do was establish an aura of invincibility around Uncle Mo. Having an event where a lucky fan was able to meet him? Inviting pre-school students to visit him at his stall at Belmont? Those are things that you can't do when the public knows that the horse is potentially damaged goods. Instead he was exposed and we're now hearing about how he has gas and the topic of missing the Derby is already on their tongues.

We could be in the midst of a really good snow job by Todd Pletcher, who seems like such a shockingly honest and upstanding individual.
Nick are you referring to rest and relaxation or Rood and Riddle Equine hospital?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It wouldn't be newsworthy if the Eclipse Award winner and heavy Kentucky Derby favorite had surgery in the winter between his 2 and 3YO seasons? Really? This is on the heels of the same trainer, and his go to jockey, being castigated for a fiasco in one of the highest profile races of the year that specifically dealt with information being withheld from the public. The people who bet tens of thousands of dollars on Uncle Mo in Kentucky Derby Future Pool 1 and in other futures both in Vegas and beyond might have wanted to know that the horse had something going on besides "R and R" this winter in Fla.

Either you believe that the wagering public has the right to know or you don't. What Mike Repole attempted to do was establish an aura of invincibility around Uncle Mo. Having an event where a lucky fan was able to meet him? Inviting pre-school students to visit him at his stall at Belmont? Those are things that you can't do when the public knows that the horse is potentially damaged goods. Instead he was exposed and we're now hearing about how he has gas and the topic of missing the Derby is already on their tongues.

We could be in the midst of a really good snow job by Todd Pletcher, who seems like such a shockingly honest and upstanding individual.
Of course it is newsworthy. The question is why hide it? I'm not buying that it was to preserve/create an aura.

Also, the wagering public has no rights. We are the lowest of the low in this food chain. The more information, the better, but given the vast number of horses that are not stabled at the track, it would be impossible to get accurate reporting on procedures performed on horses since their last start. We are left to speculate on layoffs, unless a trainer or owner gets generous and is genuine with the information. Most tracks have a hard enough time reporting geldings and getting the shoe information out to the masses.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Nick are you referring to rest and relaxation or Rood and Riddle Equine hospital?
The former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Of course it is newsworthy. The question is why hide it? I'm not buying that it was to preserve/create an aura.

Also, the wagering public has no rights. We are the lowest of the low in this food chain. The more information, the better, but given the vast number of horses that are not stabled at the track, it would be impossible to get accurate reporting on procedures performed on horses since their last start. We are left to speculate on layoffs, unless a trainer or owner gets generous and is genuine with the information. Most tracks have a hard enough time reporting geldings and getting the shoe information out to the masses.
Without a doubt we're fighting to get what info we can. However, and I'm sure you agree with the distinction, Uncle Mo is a bit more high profile than the average claimer who's been shelved for no apparent reason and is taking forever to get back to the track.

Maybe I'm wrong and I don't know the guy but I think Mike Repole's ego would have been hurt badly by word getting out that his superstar is fragile.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Belmont Park

I thought the word on Uncle Mo was out that he was fragile?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I thought the word on Uncle Mo was out that he was fragile?
Fragility was one of the first things ever brought up about him after he broke his maiden.

Between his connections, breeding, brilliance, etc, these sorts of discussions and events seemed almost inevitable.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Uncle FreddyMo,

Were you away all of this time having secret surgery too?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Woodbine

uncle mo tested positive for swine flu...............hes a pig.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Fragility was one of the first things ever brought up about him after he broke his maiden.

Between his connections, breeding, brilliance, etc, these sorts of discussions and events seemed almost inevitable.
aka Eskendereya showing up with wraps and people telling me I was crazy to think he is anything but a 100%. yeah right
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel View Post
uncle mo tested positive for swine flu...............hes a pig.
Give it a rest.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Uncle FreddyMo,

Were you away all of this time having secret surgery too?
Call me Franny Mo now, let's go shopping..
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I understand why it would be covered up NOW, but why hide it in the first place?? That's what makes no sense to me.

The more I think about it however, the more plausible it is.
NOTHING gets out of the Pletcher barn that TAP doesn't want to get out of the Pletcher barn. Todd never ever wants to admit that any horse in his barn has had any vet care other than routine worming and vaccinations. Knowing what a steel trap that operation is, I'm not shocked at all. I spoke last year with a friend of a friend who used to work for TAP. I was amazed at stories I head than never went public, stuff even Grening didn't know and he knows the NY shedrows better than any reporter.
Let me state that the stuff I heard was NOT about anything illegal. I'm just talking about routine stuff like "Oh, THAT filly, she bowed in training and has a 2yo and a yearling now...or that colt was gelded and is in training at Retama now." These were prominent enough horses that their sudden absence would have raised a red flag.
The tradition in racing is that the horse belongs to it's owner, no matter how the internet wants to make certain horses "the people's horse." Owners/trainers are NOT obligated to disclose every time a top runner gets a runny nose or a bruise. That said, I do agree with NTamm. The trainer/jockey looked pretty bad in the wake of the LAT/BCDistaff situation. I saw Mo in the paddock and he looked as quiet as an old hack, but I have never seen him up close in the paddock before. That could be his typical demeanor. When hundreds of thousands are being bet in futures it would seem like if a horse that has been compared in print to Seattle Slew had surgery last fall, that maybe the public would want to know.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Call me Franny Mo now, let's go shopping..
I'm not a big shopper, wanna go ride the pretty horseys instead?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Some people take themselves way too seriously.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
aka Eskendereya showing up with wraps and people telling me I was crazy to think he is anything but a 100%. yeah right
Yeah, that was one of the rare times I was in agreement with you.

It seemed suspicious.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
NOTHING gets out of the Pletcher barn that TAP doesn't want to get out of the Pletcher barn. Todd never ever wants to admit that any horse in his barn has had any vet care other than routine worming and vaccinations. Knowing what a steel trap that operation is, I'm not shocked at all. I spoke last year with a friend of a friend who used to work for TAP. I was amazed at stories I head than never went public, stuff even Grening didn't know and he knows the NY shedrows better than any reporter.
Let me state that the stuff I heard was NOT about anything illegal. I'm just talking about routine stuff like "Oh, THAT filly, she bowed in training and has a 2yo and a yearling now...or that colt was gelded and is in training at Retama now." These were prominent enough horses that their sudden absence would have raised a red flag.
The tradition in racing is that the horse belongs to it's owner, no matter how the internet wants to make certain horses "the people's horse." Owners/trainers are NOT obligated to disclose every time a top runner gets a runny nose or a bruise. That said, I do agree with NTamm. The trainer/jockey looked pretty bad in the wake of the LAT/BCDistaff situation. I saw Mo in the paddock and he looked as quiet as an old hack, but I have never seen him up close in the paddock before. That could be his typical demeanor. When hundreds of thousands are being bet in futures it would seem like if a horse that has been compared in print to Seattle Slew had surgery last fall, that maybe the public would want to know.
Well, that all at least makes some sense. TAP an over the top control freak could explain things.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Whatever the story, I don't want to bet Mo in the Derby. It wouldn't be the first time horse won the Derby without me.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector View Post
Whatever the story, I don't want to bet Mo in the Derby. It wouldn't be the first time horse won the Derby without me.
I don't know. He could be the third choice, after Dialed In and The Factor.

He'd be excellent value.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Ellis Park

This will ease your collective minds:

Quote:
Two things I know for sure. Uncle Mo will win the Derby and The Factor will be no factor in May.
Draynay 13 Apr 2011 1:41 AM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...cry-uncle.aspx

Case closed.
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns. " ~ Tom Waits
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Ellis Park

Seriously,

Any vets or trainers who can explain the shaved area? For what reason is that area normally shaved?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/5606219087
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns. " ~ Tom Waits
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Farm View Post
Seriously,

Any vets or trainers who can explain the shaved area? For what reason is that area normally shaved?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/5606219087
ultrasound of area, or take joint fluid out to examine (infection, inflammation, etc), or injection. Not a big deal.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts