Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus View Post
Congrats to you for interracting with the Internet Land person most detached from reality.
I'm honored. I celebrated by watching 30 seconds of Ustream.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I'm honored. I celebrated by watching 30 seconds of Ustream.
Did you get to see Dell's naked dancing protesters?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Did you get to see Dell's naked dancing protesters?
It bounces around way too much for me. It is like helmet cam on jockeys without the horses.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Sha Tin

And no pun intended with the bouncing
Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
It bounces around way too much for me. It is like helmet cam on jockeys without the horses.
Yeah, it can be pretty sea-sick producing when they are walking.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Sha Tin

I just think the gleeful way the supposedly peaceful protesters speak of taunting the police that it is pretty obvious what their intent is. And it isnt a protest against Wall Street, it is basically troublemaking for attention.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I just think the gleeful way the supposedly peaceful protesters speak of taunting the police that it is pretty obvious what their intent is..
Where are you getting that from? I've been listening to the livestream in the other window for the past couple hours. Who is trying to start trouble?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Where are you getting that from? I've been listening to the livestream in the other window for the past couple hours. Who is trying to start trouble?
youtube
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
youtube
Watch the livestream, not Dells dreams. They are at the bridge.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Flemington

Quote:
The fact that peaceful legal protest is ... legal seems to have perhaps changed a bit since the Patriot Act. Or maybe it was never a right we really had. Although people literally carrying guns at a rally near the President was tolerated. You'd think unarmed people wouldn't be a threat!
They have paraded and protested all over the city for 2 months now. Today was different because they made a threat to close the exchange.

I don't think the protesters should occupy Bank of America lobby. I don't see anything wrong with keep the street in front of NYSE blocked (as it pretty much as been since 9-11). Protesters should not be allowed to block a street (so others can't use it) without a permit.
The security by the exchnge is always tight. Besides that, there's really not much room over there for a ton of people.

But, hundreds of people in a 24-hour a day park is LEGAL. Walking along a sidewalk is LEGAL. Chanting and carrying signs is LEGAL. When a hundred extra cops surround Zuccotti, because they are going to arrest the guy who was kicking barriers, and someone says, "please let me out", and they say, "sorry" - that's simply not right.
It's not right, but did you think that there might have been other factors involved? Maybe they needed to keep the group together because they were looking for somene in particular.

There are nearly a hundred Occupies in the US right now - and some are there with the blessing of the city, and some are fraught with disaster (Oakland). But everyone has the right to free speech, freedom of assembly, etc.
Let's be truthful, for the amount of people marching/involved, there have been a couple of isolated incidents. It's a very tough situation and it's not always going to go down perfectly.

No. The police kept people from getting to work this morning, around Zuccotti. People trying to get into Wall Street for job interviews were not allowed in (they had no corporate ID), and people trying to get into the subway stop there this am were not allowed past unless they were wearing suits, etc. One young guy (wearing a nice sweater, tie, neat) wasn't allowed through into the subway because he looks like a protester, and he was complaining to the cameraman that now he'd be late to work, had to go blocks out of his way to another stop - the protesters were not in that area.

Firms and buisnesses were warned ahead of time of protocals so that they would be able to prepare for what to do to get guests in to the area this morning. Like I said above, unfortunately it's not always going to be perfect.
Quote:
Check the live stream - there are masked anarchists knocking over police barriers, trying to incite. The rest of the protesters are marching peacefully.
How do you know they aren't part of the protest/movement? So everything bad is the cops/mayor's fault and when they movement does something wrong, there not part of the REAL movement.

Quote:
Their lives are not negatively affected, when streets are not blocked, when protests are peaceful, when others are not blocked from their daily activity.
I think more people would be on board if they knew what the protest was really about. It hs become this ten thousand head monster. The movement needs one solemn voice so people could really understand.

FTFY. You mean like the Tea Party taking over all the healthcare town halls in 2008? God, that was awful! Yes - the protesters are trying to draw attention. And it's not because they are narcissists.
Right, cause those town hall meeting were on the up and up. With all the hand picked layup questions. .
Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Hialeah Park

It's a beautiful thing man.....

http://www.owsexposed.com/photo-gallery/
Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
How do you know they aren't part of the protest/movement? So everything bad is the cops/mayor's fault and when they movement does something wrong, there not part of the REAL movement.
Some are. There are people that want to use violence like Black Bloc techniques. They are constantly voted down and told no.

Anarchists tend to show up dressed in black, hooded, masked, and willing to cause trouble (like the guy throwing the barriers around today, that was arrested - and should have been, IMO)

Then there's the bunch of half-crazies that shows up for any protest, as an excuse to try and incite violence. Then theres infiltrative agent provacateurs (some off duty cops have been identified)

But the massive majority of this protest is calm and peaceful. It's outliers that are not - both on the side of the cops and of the protesters. You don't hear about the peaceful. I'll bet most people are not even aware how big the movement is, or that it's international, that it's coordinated, and well-planned. Our media certainly does not help. Lawsuit filed against Oakland for police brutality, and today for another jurisdiction (I forget which one).

You can't do that any more - there is too much video, even if the NYPD does erase all video and pictures from the cell phones of people they arrested in the last 24 hours. There is too much extraneous citizen video.

The protest reiterates, over and over, city after city, thousands of people involved, that it will be peaceful, and those that choose to get arrested for civil disobedience (refusing to move and vacate, for example) should remain completely passive, not resist, etc. Protesters have stopped violence and vandalism. Most cops have been great, some have been awful, hurting people that were not breaking any law nor declining to follow police instructions.

And no, I do NOT agree with closing the NYSE, with delaying the opening bell, with occupying the lobby of Bank of America, etc. Protesters should not do that.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Keeneland

Default This is huge - here's an overhead helicopter view

This has to be at least 5,000 people:

Overhead helicopter view:
http://www.myfoxny.com/subindex/video/live_video_2

From from pedestrian walkway on bridge:
http://www.ustream.tv/theother99#utm...medium=9488285
Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Keeneland

Overhead helicopter view, above, Fox 5 News:

Estimates 10,000 protesters, stretching for mile across bridge, with more on each side.

Verizon Building, multiple stories tall, at base of Brooklyn bridge, has huge light display on side:

"We are the 99%"
"Love"
"We are winning"
"Mic Check"
"We can change the world"
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Some are. There are people that want to use violence like Black Bloc techniques. They are constantly voted down and told no.

Anarchists tend to show up dressed in black, hooded, masked, and willing to cause trouble (like the guy throwing the barriers around today, that was arrested - and should have been, IMO)

Then there's the bunch of half-crazies that shows up for any protest, as an excuse to try and incite violence. Then theres infiltrative agent provacateurs (some off duty cops have been identified)

But the massive majority of this protest is calm and peaceful. It's outliers that are not - both on the side of the cops and of the protesters. You don't hear about the peaceful. I'll bet most people are not even aware how big the movement is, or that it's international, that it's coordinated, and well-planned. Our media certainly does not help. Lawsuit filed against Oakland for police brutality, and today for another jurisdiction (I forget which one).

You can't do that any more - there is too much video, even if the NYPD does erase all video and pictures from the cell phones of people they arrested in the last 24 hours. There is too much extraneous citizen video.

The protest reiterates, over and over, city after city, thousands of people involved, that it will be peaceful, and those that choose to get arrested for civil disobedience (refusing to move and vacate, for example) should remain completely passive, not resist, etc. Protesters have stopped violence and vandalism. Most cops have been great, some have been awful, hurting people that were not breaking any law nor declining to follow police instructions.

And no, I do NOT agree with closing the NYSE, with delaying the opening bell, with occupying the lobby of Bank of America, etc. Protesters should not do that.
This protest has gone on pretty peacefully in NY for over 2 months. Sure there have been a few bumps in the road, but if you really think where these people were camping out(illegally)/marching all over the place, it's been relatively calm. Today was different because of the threats that they made. But I also think patience is running thin. How much overtime is NY city/state and the taxpayers supposed to pay for? What is the movement's end game? Obviously they have some legit issues, but like I mentioned before, the whole movement has become this 10,000 headed monster with everyone complaining about something else. Let's face it, the damage has already been done. There is no backtracking. Why don't they camp out in front of the White House, maybe that will get something done. Let the President see it outside of his door everyday. Maybe that will get him to do something about jobs. Because by the looks of it, all they are stating to do is spin their wheels in New York city.

For the record, even if they prevented every single person from going in to the NYSE this morning, they would have opened buisness as usual. Despite what people think, the people on the floor are dying a slow death. Between over regulation and automation it's just a matter of time before that place is a museum. Then we'll see how all the NY state government programs run without all that taxed revenue coming in. But that's for another thread at another time.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Keeneland

There is an Occupy DC, there has been for 6 weeks.

Occupy has always had a clear, main message: economic inequality, created by our government being owned by corporations, and citizens losing power in our democracy. Anybody saying "no message" isn't listening.

There is a massive police presence, far more than probably needed. Save some bucks, keep some cops back. No need for overwhelming brutal force show.

Today the police were reported as calmer, smiling, assumption was they are getting used to the protesters and realize violence rare and not supported, are treating protesters differently.

Fox News estimates 10,000; NBC News estimates 20,000. Still on bridge but coming back to Zuccotti slowly.

MSM writing stories about how only a few hundred protesters were there, and how big a failure today was.

Reports from the Occupy 2 month Anniversary in other cities coming in.

I'll bet nobody knows that OWS pushed Change Your Bank day, and 400,000 new credit union accounts (removing money from BoA, Chase, etc.) were created in October, and BoA rescinded it's $5 debit fee planned raise due to public pressure. Occupy is working. Our media isn't reporting it. But the information is there. Just have to look at the "new" media.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Watch the livestream, not Dells dreams. They are at the bridge.

They're jumping?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Keeneland

Default NBC and Fox estimate 15,000 - 20,000 at OWS

marched across the Brooklyn Bridge. Occupy was joined by union workers after 5:00pm

Don't bother to look to Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS if you want to find out what happened yesterday at Occupy Wall Street New York, and 100 other cities internationally, on the "November 17 Day of Action".

News helicopter (Fox 5 ) video of the now- famous "We are the 99%" tone poem that was the laser light show broadcast on the side of the Verizon Building as thousands crossed the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxG4g62rnd8

Quote:
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/11/...py_wall_street

Paramilitary Policing of Occupy Wall Street: Excessive Use of Force amidst the New Military Urbanism

Retired New York Supreme Court Judge, legal observer at OWS, yesterday observes unwarranted police breaking of law and violence.

Note: legal observers wear neon-green hats to identify themselves, and are legally present and able to independently observe all arrest processes. They can go anywhere to observe.

Quote:
We are also joined by Stephen Graham, author of "Cities Under Siege: The New Military Urbanism," and by retired New York Supreme Court Judge Karen Smith, who worked as a legal observer Tuesday morning in New York after the police raided the Occupy Wall Street encampment.

"I was there to take down the names of people who were arrested... As I’m standing there, some African-American woman goes up to a police officer and says, 'I need to get in. My daughter's there. I want to know if she’s OK.’ And he said, 'Move on, lady.' And they kept pushing with their sticks, pushing back. And she was crying.

And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he throws her to the ground and starts hitting her in the head," says Smith. "I walk over, and I say, 'Look, cuff her if she's done something, but you don’t need to do that.’ And he said, 'Lady, do you want to get arrested?' And I said, 'Do you see my hat? I'm here as a legal observer.’ He said, 'You want to get arrested?' And he pushed me up against the wall." [includes rush transcript]
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

'peaceful' protesters set up a new camp...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA7P1M1KPH.DTL

g-111120-cvr-occupyoak-630a_grid-8x2.jpg

aw, but they lost their new 'home'.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_19378515

as i've said more than once, protest all you wish. but why they have to live in squalid surroundings on private property, i don't know. how does tearing down fencing and no trespassing signs and pitching tents on property they have no right to squat on further their argument?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Keeneland

They were allegedly supposed to be protesting something about homeless people, but you can't break into and squat on private property.

See the black hoodies, covering their faces? Those are not Occupy. Those are black bloc supporters. See the kids in the background? Followers from Occupy who don't want peaceful protest. They have a split in Oakland, as they've been on the receiving end of so much violence there.