Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Mine that bird ran a nice derby and preakness against an awful crop. He ran a nice race against rachel but he wasnt beating her that day.

His last two races were very average and he was beaten by horses that arent too special.

Still, his ability is enough to be competitive in many stakes in this day.

I don't agree that the crop is awful.. I would say its an average crop
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
we don't know the second season has just started, have no clue what the future holds.

I think FC had a nice solid career but it was spotty. And if I had a nickel for everytime someone on this board and others put a fork in him and such I'd be rich.

FC after the TC races never put together that Champion like string of winning Major GI's after GI's after GI's ala a Cigar, Invasor etc. He would lose quite a few, then all of a sudden grab a nice win, lose a few more and then grab a win.

What I'm trying to say with MTB is he seems to have that air about him that Funny Cide had. Everyone is ready to write off MTB and put a fork in him.
All I'm trying to say is it is way too early for that. Let's see how he performs in the Traver's and go from there.
Champion like string of winning maor G1's after major grade 1's ala....INVASOR?

LOL all three of them.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
I don't agree that the crop is awful.. I would say its an average crop
Hmmmm. the fields in the classics this year were awful.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Champion like string of winning maor G1's after major grade 1's ala....INVASOR?

LOL all three of them.

Invasor's Career

02/03/07 $500K Donn H. Gulfstream Park 1 1
11/04/06 $5M Breeders' Cup Classic Powered by Dodge Churchill Downs 1 1
08/05/06 $750K Whitney H. Saratoga 1 1
07/01/06 $400K Suburban H. Belmont Park 1 1
05/19/06 $500K Pimlico Special H. Pimlico 1 1
03/25/06 $2M UAE Derby 4
11/13/05 $76.3K GP Nacional Uruguayan Derby Maronas 1
10/09/05 $56.7K GP Jockey Club Maronas 1
09/10/05 $37.3K GP Polla Potrls Uru 2000 Gns Maronas 1
08/07/05 $14.8K Cl Ensayo Maronas 1
02/27/05 $5K Lapsang Maronas 1

and that list does not include his Dubai Classic Win which was right before his '07 Donn making it 6 straight Grade I's (yes I know Dubai is isn't graded but it is one of the Biggest races in the world)

If that is not impressive than you are a tough person to impress.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Invasor's Career

03/25/06 $2M UAE Derby 4

and that list does not include his Dubai Classic Win.

Ask her about Mineshaft!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Invasor's Career

03/25/06 $2M UAE Derby 4

and that list does not include his Dubai Classic Win.

Invasor was a nice horse who had a nice career. You said "string of consecutive grade 1's" and he won THREE in a row. Nice, but nothing in the context of history and some of the great horses that put together multi year runs. Invasor lasted at the top less than ONE YEAR. Heck it was like 9 months.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
I think Munnings is a fast G1 quality sprinter.. Rachel crushes fields.. The Haskel will come back with a very big BSF. I have nothing against Mine That Bird at all.. He is certainly a honest horse and his trainer isn't exactly HOF material..
I'm not suggesting that she's not a special filly, but isn't everyone getting a bit carried away? Putting today's race in context, she had exactly two horses to beat. The first was Munnings, a legitimate sprinter with whom Pletcher was taking a shot by running in a stallion-making race on a typically speed-favoring oval. When the rains came, Pletcher didn't get the track he was looking for, and over which Munnings was not likely to carry his speed 9F (and it will now be back to the original plan and the King's Bishop).

The second horse to beat was Summer Bird, who received a highly questionable ride from Desormeaux. Not only did Desormeaux take this horse out of his normal style of running, but he rushed up on the worst part of the race track. Off that trip, he'll be tough in the Travers, but he had no shot today.

Rachel got a perfect stalking trip on the best part of the race track. Since most media types declared that, if she won the Haskell (a premise that I don't agree with), she'd lock up HOY, I'm now sure that her connections will take the path of least resistance. I'd bet that she has two more races this year: the Personal Ensign and Beldame.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
I'm not suggesting that she's not a special filly, but isn't everyone getting a bit carried away? Putting today's race in context, she had exactly two horses to beat. The first was Munnings, a legitimate sprinter with whom Pletcher was taking a shot by running in a stallion-making race on a typically speed-favoring oval. When the rains came, Pletcher didn't get the track he was looking for, and over which Munnings was not likely to carry his speed 9F (and it will now be back to the original plan and the King's Bishop).

The second horse to beat was Summer Bird, who received a highly questionable ride from Desormeaux. Not only did Desormeaux take this horse out of his normal style of running, but he rushed up on the worst part of the race track. Off that trip, he'll be tough in the Travers, but he had no shot today.

Rachel got a perfect stalking trip on the best part of the race track. Since most media types declared that, if she won the Haskell (a premise that I don't agree with), she'd lock up HOY, I'm now sure that her connections will take the path of least resistance. I'd bet that she has two more races this year: the Personal Ensign and Beldame.
Do you really think KD's ride affected the placings of the top two? Summer Bird was running second either way regardless of tactics.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Invasor was a nice horse who had a nice career. You said "string of consecutive grade 1's" and he won THREE in a row. Nice, but nothing in the context of history and some of the great horses that put together multi year runs. Invasor lasted at the top less than ONE YEAR. Heck it was like 9 months.
He won six in a row.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Mine that bird ran a nice derby and preakness against an awful crop. He ran a nice race against rachel but he wasnt beating her that day.

His last two races were very average and he was beaten by horses that arent too special.

Still, his ability is enough to be competitive in many stakes in this day.
This crop is far from awful, especially in light of the class of 2008.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Do you really think KD's ride affected the placings of the top two? Summer Bird was running second either way regardless of tactics.
Probably not, but that was one bad ride. The final margin would have likely been different. As it was, Summer Bird had to win a stetch-long duel with Munnings to get second.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
He won six in a row.
grade 1's?
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

his Pim, Sub, Whit, BCC, Dubai, Donn were all in a row, he went from Spring of 06 all the way to late Winter of 07 without a loss and raced in the biggest races. Those are 6 straight wins. no losses in between etc. 6 straight wins
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
This crop is far from awful, especially in light of the class of 2008.
Im talking about what was in the gate in the preakness and the derby.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
his Pim, Sub, Whit, BCC, Dubai, Donn were all in a row, he went from Spring of 06 all the way to late Winter of 07 without a loss and raced in the biggest races. Those are 6 straight wins. no losses in between etc. 6 straight wins
You said grade 1's. Those races arent all grade 1.

Late winter 2007? LOL. He lasted about 9 months.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
grade 1's?

5 of them were and the Dubai Classic isn't graded but it's THE richest race in the world and attracts the best. So yeah 6
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

Yes they are
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
yeah they are
Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Probably not, but that was one bad ride. The final margin would have likely been different. As it was, Summer Bird had to win a stetch-long duel with Munnings to get second.
So you think he should have taken way off the pace and closed into what would have been pretty soft fractions on that track?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

Paralysis by analysis... she ran a mile in 1:34 1/5 without urging when the other stakes mile splits were 1:37 1/5, 1:37 1/5, 1:37 4/5, 1:36 3/5, and 1:36 3/5. It was another incredible performance from the best horse in the world.

Quote:
So you think he should have taken way off the pace and closed into what would have been pretty soft fractions on that track?
Those were wicked fractions. Check the other races on the card. Summer Bird was running second either way, he's probably the #2 or #3 horse in this crop anyways...