Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989 View Post
Yes this is true. So much so that I now need to contact a physician
as I have been harded for a longer period then recommended.
Better harded than Harden...as Cubs fans found out...
Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
I just wanted to bring up the Pine Tar Incident. Heard Peter Gammons on the Dan Patrick show today explain the origin of the pine tar rule, amazing story.

The rule was instituted in 1957 by Clark Griffith, it's sole purpose was to prevent players from dirtying up the balls in batting practice, making them unusable in games. That was it. The American League President's office didn't even know this until Gammons informed them. Thus the over-turning of the decision.
So Gammons played a part in a Yankees win being overturned? That is

George Steinbrenner just rolled over in his grave
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
So Gammons played a part in a Yankees win being overturned? That is

George Steinbrenner just rolled over in his grave
he's dead?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
he's dead?
more or less

Think "Weekend at bernies"
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
The Curragh

Call will NOT be overturned:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...turn_call.html
Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Did you see the lineup Cleveland fielded last night? If baseball could be translated to beyers, last nights game would have been a raw number of 114 but been published as a 78. Choo is the only player who could start for most major league teams.
Then, ya also have an issue with the home plate umpire calling this 1st pitch to this hitter a strike. I mean wtf do people think this batter is swinging at this pitch that should of ended the game? He just stupid? No. The home plate umpire extended the strike zone on that 1st pitch. So, Gallaraga's Perfect Game was gunna be pretty much Cajun-Style. It's a bad call, but it's not as bad as it appears to be. Other than getting the foot on the bag in time, everything the Tigers did on that play was hurting their chances of getting the call their way. The ball easily beats the runner, but Gallaraga isn't on the base. He searches for the base. He finally finds it right before the runner hits the extreme (home plate) edge of the base. Can the ump actually see exactly when the runner hits that part of the base? What (at 1st) appears to be an easy out call, did become a little closer. He did find the bag in time, but (for some reason) he extends his search after he's stepped on the bag. He did not help himself on that play there. He was awkward. He played some part in faking the umpire out. There is some selling to get calls in this game. This pitcher needs to fake towards it being called his way. He just did not do that at all. I'm upset at umps blowing calls at 1st, but this is about average on the fk up scale. They really do blow calls (at 1st base especially) that are this easy. I remember Bruce Froeming (name?) umpiring his last game in his home town of Milwaukee. Guy blows an easy call at 1st base. There is something about those calls that makes it a real problem for them. Isn't it the only force play where the runner doesn't have to stay on the base after they touch it? I guess the overall speed involved is a big problem. I think they actually are a bit too close to the bag to call this as accurately as we'd like. These calls are pretty easy for most of us watching on T.V., and at full speed. There's a reason they can't get them done as easily as Joe Fan can. I think they must be too close to be able to judge when these 2 things are occuring. We can easily combine the two. They are struggling to do the same. They are watching two things, and comparing. We aren't. People calling these games usually get these 1st base calls right, too. The umps are struggling to do the same.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 06-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Disappointing...but not surprising.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Flemington

Same crew missed another call at 1st?