Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Saratoga

Default Million Day Thoughts/Opinions

1) An absolute madhouse at like 9:45 in the morning, SPRINTING GRANDPA's for seats. It was out of control, like they haven't eaten for weeks and they were handing out water

2) Before I even find the boxes I have, I am getting YELLED AT but multiple security guards. It was like Fort Knox and they told the guards they couldn't get paid without being jerkoffs

3) Free beer/food all day for myself and two friends that were with

4) Continued harassment by rent a security guards, EVEN KICKING HABER out of our box for the ACTUAL MILLION Race, I tried to get bad on the security guard but Haber just left.

5) DIDN'T CASH ONE TICKET ALL DAY

6) Gorella is the goods, frenchy didn't even whip her once the whole time, it was the most impressive performance on the day.

7) Million sucked this year, but my dad crushed the living crap out of it

8) Showing Up wasn't THAT impressive. It might have been because it was a wire to wire performance but I was more impressed with turn of foot by Ivan, still though Showing Up was good

9) Screw the traveling Euros

10) Looked for Dellinger, too late, asked Lou

11) Amatuer day, I see this guy with $56 on his voucher playing $5 super straight tickets

12) Man did I mess up the Showing Up race, I didn't like Go Between at all and I just saw that f'n exacta paid $20 with Ivan, unbelievable

13) I want Guidry's head on a stick. Guy rode like a complete jackass today, including the 4th race where he opens the horse up by 4 lengths and gets nipped

14) My dad is loosing his touch, got us boxes in the F'n sun and my forehead looks like a tomato

15) Last and MOST IMPORTANTLY is English Channel is DONE...he is the rat that he is. He must be knocking the boots when he gets to Arlington because he just flats doesn't like to run as solid as he has at other places (I know today he was 3w3w the whole time and Johnny might have errored here, but still, very salty)

Last edited by Scav : 08-12-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Dee Tee Stables

for one, i think leparoux did give her a couple taps on her left side, maybe you didn't see it from where you were.

also, english channel may be many things, a rat not being one of them. wonder what his deal is with 10f races?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
for one, i think leparoux did give her a couple taps on her left side, maybe you didn't see it from where you were.

also, english channel may be many things, a rat not being one of them. wonder what his deal is with 10f races?
rat, he could have convinced me otherwise today but rat city
Old 08-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

nah, i think kent d was the rat today.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Showing Up reminds me of Kitten's Joy quite a bit..
Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 PM
oracle80

You are being way too hard on EC. Off that pace noone was gonna close any ground. That race is a tossout for all of em as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Saratoga

Rat I Tell You
Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Keeneland

Scavs
was all over the place today. saw everyone but u. lol most of the time we were in the park with the Major R bunch. Maybe the NTRA qualifier 9/10? Sounds like we've recruited a few more for the return trip to Saratoga Labor Day w/e.
Bad day at the windows but glad I saw Gorella run as she was the show today.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
You are being way too hard on EC. Off that pace noone was gonna close any ground. That race is a tossout for all of em as far as I am concerned.
Exactly. Put a line through this race when you handicap the next one. Props to the winner who slowed it down, but I won't hold it against any of the also rans, especially a closer like BTN. Nice job by Espinoza as well.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav

3) Free beer/food all day for myself and two friends that were with
That's all that matters Scav.

Anybody notice on the ESPN coverage that the track and stakes record holder for both the Million and the Sword Dancer is....Awad?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I make no excuses for EC, but anyone that has watched racing for any amount of time at all knows that race is a complete toss. They let a very good horse set fractions that almost I can run. No way in hell ANY horse was gonna get by The Tin Man today. I horse that ran 1-2-3 the whole way around the track finished 1-2-4. After racing 3 wide and I saw the 6F split in 1:15, I esentially walked away. No chance in hell anyone was making a move in that race today.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Del Mar

Kev- If its any consolation, I owe you $20. Not sure that Better Talk Now has even finished.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:12 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Kev- If its any consolation, I owe you $20. Not sure that Better Talk Now has even finished.

I only put $50 because of the low odds....I hated the post all along Tim. I knew there was no other speed in the race but Tin Man, but I didn't think they would let him get away with murder up front like that. I was more salty about being alive to the NTRA Pick 4 with EC singled in the last. Oh well...he still has done nothing to shame himself this year. 5 races, 3wins, 2 grade 1's.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I make no excuses for EC, but anyone that has watched racing for any amount of time at all knows that race is a complete toss. They let a very good horse set fractions that almost I can run. No way in hell ANY horse was gonna get by The Tin Man today. I horse that ran 1-2-3 the whole way around the track finished 1-2-4. After racing 3 wide and I saw the 6F split in 1:15, I esentially walked away. No chance in hell anyone was making a move in that race today.
Yeah that was insane. I said "its over" when I saw the 1/2 go up in :50 and change. Then when he was still loafing around in 1:15 for the 3/4 they could have just handed him the trophy right there. Why didn't they bring Shake the Bank to make sure that this didn't happen? I doubt that it would have mattered for BTN yeaterday, but at least The Tin Man would not have been allowed to walk for the first 7f.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

Anybody notice on the ESPN coverage that the track and stakes record holder for both the Million and the Sword Dancer is....Awad?
i wonder...if you bred a mare named sky blue to awad, could you name the foal blue awad??? hehehe...came to mind yesterday when i saw them put up that stat.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Everyone treated Tin Man like he was Shake The Bank[cheep speed]. None had a bad race but there was a lot of brain farts and human errors. Tin Man and Mandella took them all to school.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

I think they changed the time of the Sword Dancer, which gets screwed now that it is on Million Saturday
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I think they changed the time of the Sword Dancer, which gets screwed now that it is on Million Saturday
Not the timing of it..the horse. I'm sure it was probably in different years. Just was shocked that it was Awad after all of the great ones that have run in those races. I know it is a matter of how the course is playing and how the race sets up to get a track/stakes record, but Awad for both of them? Come on.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i wonder...if you bred a mare named sky blue to awad, could you name the foal blue awad??? hehehe...came to mind yesterday when i saw them put up that stat.

very clever.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 08-13-2006, 11:42 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I only put $50 because of the low odds....I hated the post all along Tim. I knew there was no other speed in the race but Tin Man, but I didn't think they would let him get away with murder up front like that.
You were smart to cut your bet when you saw the odds. fyi, Tradesports.com has "trading" in big races. They used to have "markets" in all the races at a few major tracks, but now they just trade on the big races. They had the big ones from Arlington yesterday.

EC was available at better than 3-1 for up until an hour before the race. Heck, I was offereing 3.3-1 myself. Of course at that point, a "buyer" couldn't be sure that the odds wouldn't be higher in the parimutuals. Since I put EC at 5-1 in my "fair" line, I didn't mind offering 3.3-1. But I'd have done a lot better if I had waited and offered him at 2.8-1 or so once his parimutuals were 2-1.

If you have a strong opinion on a horse's chances, you can find some huge overlays and underlays at Tradesports. I got the Tin Man at 10-1. On the other hand, I thought Touch of Land was a deal at 15-1, only to watch him go off at 25-1.

--Dunbar