Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Hialeah Park

Default Who is most likely to knock off Bernardini?

This thread is NOT to rank the horses in the Classic but is intended to speculate on who has the best chance of knocking off Bernardini and winning the race. My opinion:

1. David Junior - We know this is a world class horse at ten furlongs and the pedigree suggests he should handle the dirt. Hate the layoff but if he really does benefit from it then he has the talent to take down 'Dini. Probably the only horse that could do it on talent.

2. Sun King - If you can't beat Bernardini on talent then a speed duel seems the next most logical way it could happen. Sun King has run a couple very big races this year in the Met Mile and Whitney and if the speed collapses he seems the most likely to fire from the back of the pack and win the race.

3. Invasor - Fired off the layoff in the Suburban and is undefeated outside of Dubai. Could sit off the pace and pounce at the end especially if Bernardini gets a rocky trip.

4. Lava Man - Assuming he doesn't have a problem with Churchill he still has a lot to overcome. Hard to imagine in a 14 horse field that he could get very comfortable on the front end and it is tough to imagine he'd get a dream stalking trip. If all goes well and he can improve on his California form (a big if) then he has an outside shot.

5. Giacomo - If it isn't Bernardini or any of the four I listed above then the only thing I can imagine would be a repeat of the '05 Derby where even the closers went too fast early and had nothing left in the tank at the end and a plodder like Giacomo was able to pass them all in the stretch. We all know he likes Churchill so why just settle for the most unlikely horse to win the Derby and instead be the most unlikely horse to win the Derby and the Classic. Internet forums would most likely explode.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM
oracle80

One of three horses, Lava Man, Invasor, or Sun King. Have to see which Euros are going as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Hawthorne

Giacomo? Unless he is running 9f and Bernardini 10f he has no chance.

The only competition for Bernardini is going to be Secretariat's track record. I think it will be close.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Idlewild Airport

Easily Invasor. None of the others make me think its possible.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Newmarket

Invasor is the one with the best shot IMO.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Del Mar

I'd say Lava Man and Sun King, if the trip scenarios work out right.
I hope Europe sends a better challenger than Dylan Thomas. He would have been better served running in one of the allowance or claiming races earlier in the day.

Lava Man- If he is fed his Wheaties and gets a moderate pace and he breaks on top or sits right behind a possible rabbbit.

Sun King- If Bernardini moves too early into a wicked pace and Sun King is trained properly from now until Nov 4th, which we have every reason to believe he will be.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Flemington

Beware of David Junior
Invasor would be my other pick.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

If Bernardini doesn't win, it will be the biggest upset in BC history. If Lava Man isn't the one that beats him, there should be a police investigation. Nobody else has a prayer.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Gulfstream Park

perfect drift, yes im a huge fan but his form hasnt tailed off and of course hes got homecourt advantage
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
If Bernardini doesn't win, it will be the biggest upset in BC history. If Lava Man isn't the one that beats him, there should be a police investigation. Nobody else has a prayer.

lava man? hmmmmm love the horse but how quickly have you forgotten that when he moved east last fall away from cali he got spanked
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
perfect drift, yes im a huge fan but his form hasnt tailed off and of course hes got homecourt advantage
I agree completely!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Del Mar

hmmmmm love the horse but how quickly have you forgotten that when he moved east last fall away from cali he got spanked

Everybody ran bad that day except for Borrego. Flower Alley was up the track and came back to run a respectable 2nd to Saint Liam in the Classic.
Lava Man is a completely different horse a year later, much better than he was at this time last year and he ships 1 month before the race instead of 3 days. I like his chances better than Perfect Drifts, but call me crazy I guess.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Golden Gate

lava man and david junior. but david junior's chances are very slim due to not having a prep.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
lava man? hmmmmm love the horse but how quickly have you forgotten that when he moved east last fall away from cali he got spanked
PD hasn't tailed off???? He's slower this year than he was last year, I don't know about you but being beat by Seek Gold would tell me, he's tailed off...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
hmmmmm love the horse but how quickly have you forgotten that when he moved east last fall away from cali he got spanked

Everybody ran bad that day except for Borrego. Flower Alley was up the track and came back to run a respectable 2nd to Saint Liam in the Classic.
Lava Man is a completely different horse a year later, much better than he was at this time last year and he ships 1 month before the race instead of 3 days. I like his chances better than Perfect Drifts, but call me crazy I guess.

well tim hell get another chance to prove it! last year at the time everyone was saying lava man was the next superhorse before the race and look what happened! the one thing you can say in lava's defense last year was the pace was totally against him and totally set it up for borrego, lava man was a solid bet against in the race and borrego was a "gift" 5-1. LOL please dont mention the overrated flower alley into the equation tim
Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Churchill Downs

I think it's Lava Man. If speed holds at CD, he will be extremely tough to get by. A sneaky pace scenario would really help his chances as well.

As for how he ran in the east last year. It was miserable, but LM had clearly started to regress when he left the west last year. This year he has been more consistent and is capable of running his best.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
PD hasn't tailed off???? He's slower this year than he was last year, I don't know about you but being beat by Seek Gold would tell me, he's tailed off...
LOL gimme a break freefourinternet beat him how many years ago, did he tail off after that? was he right there in the foster this year, was he right there in his last race?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Bold Reasoning

Only bad luck can beat Bernardini. I still remember Slew being nosed out by Exceller in the JCGC 1978(after Afffirmed's saddle slipped). I do not expect history to repeat itself. Bernardini will be tested, but he will win once again.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
LOL gimme a break freefourinternet beat him how many years ago, did he tail off after that? was he right there in the foster this year, was he right there in his last race?

1 thing that will work against PD is the track coming up sloppy. he can handle the off going but will not run his best race over it. if it comes up that way then id discount him at the windows, lol even tho i wont hes getting my usual 50 and 50 on him no matter what
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander

I'd take LM, David Junior, Sun King and Giacomo over Perfect Drift. *and INvasor if he runs