Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Default Lieberman going down today

I see it in my crystal ball. That is what you deserve for siding with the moron running the country.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Oriental Park

Nostrodamus,

Joe lost the primary - but he wans't the only democratic senator who voted to give bush the right to go to war after exhuasting all means

We have a senator here in NY who did as well and so did Feinstein in California. Why didn't the DEMS run someone against these other incumbents?

Doesn't make sense to me that only 1 of the 24 senators gets sold out by their party
Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Turf Paradise

"after exhausting all means..." Hah-hah, that's a good one. Sorry, I generally try not to be obnoxious in my politics, but sometimes I lose to the dark side.

Lieberman was vulnerable because a lot of his values aren't terribly different from those held by conservative senators. He supports No Child Left Behind. He used to be a strong environmentalist, but he voted for the big energy bill that benefitted the oil companies in 2005. He sits the fence on big issues like tax cuts and gay rights. He'll make a key vote here or there and then do a lot of smaller ambiguous things that make you wonder what he really believes. The Iraq War might have been the rallying point, but I think that what differentiates him from Feinsteinn is that you know the difference between Feinsteinn and a Republican. You don't always know with Joe.

I still support my senator, Maria Cantwell, even though she voted for the war...but I would have voted Lieberman out, too.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
Nostrodamus,

Joe lost the primary - but he wans't the only democratic senator who voted to give bush the right to go to war after exhuasting all means

We have a senator here in NY who did as well and so did Feinstein in California. Why didn't the DEMS run someone against these other incumbents?

Doesn't make sense to me that only 1 of the 24 senators gets sold out by their party
They were smart enough not to let the President hug them on national tv. JL wasn't.