Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Keeneland

Default Horse Greeley Juvi Scratch?

The status of Del Mar Futurity (G2) winner HORSE GREELEY (Mr. Greeley) was undecided after his eventful seventh-place finish as the 13-10 favorite in Sunday's Norfolk Breeders' Cup S. (G2) at Oak Tree. The Richard Mandella trainee had a troubled trip from the starting gate to the first turn, where he went extremely wide, and never fully recovered in the 1 1/16-mile event.

"His ankles are a little jarred up," Mandella said. "I'm sure we're going to X-ray him. It could be a minor thing, it could be more serious. We'll have to see in the next few days. Everything's up in the air (regarding the Breeders' Cup Juvenile [G1])."
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
The status of Del Mar Futurity (G2) winner HORSE GREELEY (Mr. Greeley) was undecided after his eventful seventh-place finish as the 13-10 favorite in Sunday's Norfolk Breeders' Cup S. (G2) at Oak Tree. The Richard Mandella trainee had a troubled trip from the starting gate to the first turn, where he went extremely wide, and never fully recovered in the 1 1/16-mile event.

"His ankles are a little jarred up," Mandella said. "I'm sure we're going to X-ray him. It could be a minor thing, it could be more serious. We'll have to see in the next few days. Everything's up in the air (regarding the Breeders' Cup Juvenile [G1])."
It was reported in DRf that he will indeed be passing the race.
Mandella is too good a horseman to take a shot with a horse shipping halfway across the country in a race this big to send one who isnt 100%. Kudos to him on the decision.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hialeah Park

Horse Greeley will never win another graded stakes race in his life.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Horse Greeley will never win another graded stakes race in his life.
But dude!!!! He blew away the mighty Great Hunter!!!! Shredded him, now how can that be?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
But dude!!!! He blew away the mighty Great Hunter!!!! Shredded him, now how can that be?
Right place at the right time, didn't stretch out, now injuries are cropping up. I've seen enough of these early developing 2yos disappear to know that my statement of him not winning another graded stakes is a pretty good bet.

I never said Great Hunter was a mighty horse, just better than Circular Quay. I'm not impressed with the 2yos so far at all. I'm thinking that the Derby winner hasn't raced yet and certainly hasn't raced in Stakes company yet.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Balletto

Im going to agree with Sniper on this one. Besides filly and mare turf racing, 2yo's are my favorite and this year just hasnt grabbed my attention. It could turn out to be a great crop yet, but nothing is all that inspiring to me, thus far.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Right place at the right time, didn't stretch out, now injuries are cropping up. I've seen enough of these early developing 2yos disappear to know that my statement of him not winning another graded stakes is a pretty good bet.

I never said Great Hunter was a mighty horse, just better than Circular Quay. I'm not impressed with the 2yos so far at all. I'm thinking that the Derby winner hasn't raced yet and certainly hasn't raced in Stakes company yet.
Well I'm not saying he is Derby material but hes certainly a very nice horse.
His exercise rider is a board member on here and she is very talented and a class act. I'm sure when she gets around to posting that she will tell us what the story is.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
The Curragh

Horse Greeley sucks, what an overhyped piece of crap
Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
The Curragh

I dont see it im still sore at Mandella over Listen Indy
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
You're incorrigible.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
You're incorrigible.

thats what she said
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
oracle80

Quote:
thats what she said
Whoever "she" is, shes an astute judge of character.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Flemington

Well,he is a very big horse that doesn't break well from the gate.It hurt him in his debut,and in this race as well.Surprised they haven't tried blinks yet,but maybe HONU(is that her name?)can shed some lite on whether they have explored that yet.The horse just outside of him came over on him at the start.I guess he got hurt there(somewhat)and mentally "out of it" after that.2 horses in that race that certainly don't have trouble breaking from the gate are Principle Secret,and especially Stormello(a really good horse out of the gate.)Spot the Diplomat did not break all the great(if he did,then I think Alex (on P.S.)would have chosen to lay off him (instead of leading the race.)
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Randwyck

The 2-yo crop is hard to dissect right now, especially in California.
Prime Ruler, Principle Secret and Horse Greeley have all looked brilliant and mediocre in the span of a few months.
That's why I still think CQ is the goods. He's shown consistency and
push-button accelleration I haven't seen out of any other 2-year old.
I wonder if Gomez or Bejarano will get the ride on CQ on Nov. 4th?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
Prime Ruler, Principle Secret and Horse Greeley have all looked brilliant and mediocre in the span of a few months.
I think both Principle Secret and Horse Greeley should get a pass on the last race, Principle Secret was pressed through hard fractions and was game in defeat going 2 turns for the first time. Horse Greeley had a nightmare trip, he ran up on heels, checked and bolted, he's just a baby. I think they are both nice horses and will be heard from again.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
We have a monster out here called E.Z. Warrior.He just started working again yesterday.He had some sort of minor problem that took him out of training for a while.He simply teased Great Hunter back in early July.Multiple gears.That Zayad guy paid God knows how much for this horse,and Baffert trains.Baffert didn't really want to run him that day(because he drew the 1 hole.)He and the owner agreed to find out exactly how good he was(by seeing if he could win despite the 1 hole.)Horse had to wait behind traffic,and then made a huge push button move through traffic.Great Hunter came up to his outside(with a big wide move,)and E.Z. Warrior toyed with him before easily drawing off.Maybe we will see him in the HWD Futurity.Same owner as Point Ashley.The guy has some major jak.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Balletto

E.Z. Warrior was bred to be a good 2yo by Exploit out of a stakes-placed sprinting Carson City mare. He could be a factor later in the year but dont expect a Classic's type with him.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Im going to agree with Sniper on this one. Besides filly and mare turf racing, 2yo's are my favorite and this year just hasnt grabbed my attention. It could turn out to be a great crop yet, but nothing is all that inspiring to me, thus far.
Really--I happen to really enjoy the 2 year olds this year. I think not only is there potential for some good horses but also the potential of a couple of good rivalries.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

The horses ankles were slightly filled the day after the race, I saw him jog on a shank up and down the shed 3 times , he was not off. He is being x rayed to make sure there is nothing amiss, and Im 90% sure that the xrays will be clean. Mostly the horse came unglued mentally , which is in his pedigree as his mother was a blooming idiot with tons of run . After he reared in the gate the gate hand bit his ear which I think was the beginning of the end for him mentally. He left the gate almost falling down and then was shut off and ran over because of his stupidity in the gate and not getting off well. To me , and I know the horse pretty well, by the time he got to the first turn he was so pi**ed off that he was like " screw it Im going to the 100 to 1 "
Ill bet you a beer or beverage of your choice this horse will win more stakes and you can take that statement to the bank.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Boy you have alot of class.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham