Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Thumbs up Santa Anita's Big Meet

I am looking forword to this meet oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!

with the addition of the new faces it is shaping up one of the best meets in history. Just wish godophin or any of the sheik brothers would bring a string WOW that would be awesome. ANY THOUGHTS????
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Churchill Downs

Darn right, this is where real racing is. Malibu stakes is one of my favorite races of the year. Chock full of racing talent and great underlays.
My biggest concern is the sythetic to dirt angle. Not much data to go by but horses who havent taken to poly and return to regular dirt may offer some value in the meet.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 AM
Del Mar

I find it to be a very difficult meet to make money betting. The weather is not great. There is usually quite a bit of rain. The track changes a lot from day to day. They're always sealing the track and unsealing the track. It is my least favorite meet of the year in Southern California by far. I usually can't wait to get it over with.

And it's especially bad for me nowadays since it's the only meet in Southern California that is not televised on TVG. I can't get HRTV where I live, so I can't even watch the races live on television.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I find it to be a very difficult meet to make money betting. The weather is not great. There is usually quite a bit of rain. The track changes a lot from day to day. They're always sealing the track and unsealing the track. It is my least favorite meet of the year in Southern California by far. I usually can't wait to get it over with.

And it's especially bad for me nowadays since it's the only meet in Southern California that is not televised on TVG. I can't get HRTV where I live, so I can't even watch the races live on television.
Ditto.....
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Randwyck

dish network!

not to mention it's the only way you can get the gulfstream feed.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
Darn right, this is where real racing is. Malibu stakes is one of my favorite races of the year. Chock full of racing talent and great underlays.
My biggest concern is the sythetic to dirt angle. Not much data to go by but horses who havent taken to poly and return to regular dirt may offer some value in the meet.
The good thing is that you will dada on horses who races at SA earlier in the year. I love his SA meet.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Oaklawn

Ruperts right about never knowing how the track will play from day to day, but I love the venue. Santa Anita is at the top when it comes to being at a race track for me. Will this be the last meeting that they race on dirt?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Hawthorne

I have to disagree about the rain, we hardly ever get enough rain, even in the winter. I love this meet, the backdrop of the San Gabriel Mountains covered in snow is spectacular! The racing is top notch and the new riders and stables is going to be exciting!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Flemington

It's a pretty place.Main track changes like a clock though.Yes,I have Dish Network,and it is great for horseracing .TVG,and HRTV are 1 station apart. I would think they will put the synthetic in over the Summer for Oaktree.They have to have it in by the end of 2007.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
I have to disagree about the rain, we hardly ever get enough rain, even in the winter. I love this meet, the backdrop of the San Gabriel Mountains covered in snow is spectacular! The racing is top notch and the new riders and stables is going to be exciting!
There's a ton of rain there compared to any other meet in Southern California. How often do we get a sloppy track or a wet/fast track at Hollywood, Del Mar, or Oak Tree? Almost never. But we get plenty of sloppy and wet/fast tracks at the SA Winter Meet.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Flemington

Quote:
There's a ton of rain there compared to any other meet in Southern California. How often do we get a sloppy track or a wet/fast track at Hollywood, Del Mar, or Oak Tree? Almost never. But we get plenty of sloppy and wet/fast tracks at the SA Winter Meet.
Depends a whole lot on the year,but January/February can be very wet in SOCAL.Cliffhouses start slip sliddin' away.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I find it to be a very difficult meet to make money betting. The weather is not great. There is usually quite a bit of rain. The track changes a lot from day to day. They're always sealing the track and unsealing the track. .
It's called the Rainy Season. I experienced the SoCal climate for 5 years of undergraduate school in Pasadena. The Rainy Season started whenever the Interhouse Party was held (usually in mid-November). Lasts until March, when a mini-summer starts, followed by a mini-rainy (or cloudy) season called the June Gloom (frequently starts in May). Then follows the Dry Season, which is followed by the Fire Season (when the Santa Anas blow in), which ends when the Rainy Season starts again.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
It's called the Rainy Season. I experienced the SoCal climate for 5 years of undergraduate school in Pasadena. The Rainy Season started whenever the Interhouse Party was held (usually in mid-November). Lasts until March, when a mini-summer starts, followed by a mini-rainy (or cloudy) season called the June Gloom (frequently starts in May). Then follows the Dry Season, which is followed by the Fire Season (when the Santa Anas blow in), which ends when the Rainy Season starts again.
So Cal's rainy season would be a drought most anywhere else. I acknowledge that we get rain, but hardly a seasonal deluge every year. I have more than 5 years of living here to base it on, 47 to be exact but who's counting.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Depends a whole lot on the year,but January/February can be very wet in SOCAL.Cliffhouses start slip sliddin' away.
Come on Scuds you know it doesn't take much for those Malibu homes to start sliding, they shouldn't be there to begin with. I will agree that we get rain every winter, but excepting the El Nino patterns it's not anything like the inconvenience's of the rest of the country. I would say my riding is not severely interrupted in the winter, thats what I pretty much base it on. I actually think it's great when we get rain as I live in an area effected by fires, we're always short of what we need as far as rain goes.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Flemington

Seems like an f'n monsoon last year hit during the 1st 2-3 weeks of the meet.I remember *****cat Doll runnin' huge in the slop in a 7f stakes.Seems like a 3 way photo in a 6f stakes with that Ted West Horse(ran 3rd in Dubai) involved.They were sliding all over the place in the stretch of that one.Maybe this year will be less wet (hope so.)