Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Default Collmus to replace Durkin?

That's the rumor making its way around Twitter.

No disrespect to Collmus, who calls a fine race, but I think that'd be pretty disappointing. To replace the best in the business, who can tell the story and drama of a race unlike anyone else in history, with -- to me -- the most milquetoast announcer at a major racetrack in America would be a letdown. John Dooley really deserves a shot on the big stage. DT villain Vic would also be a more suitable replacement IMO.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

that's the thing, no one can replace durkin. whoever it is will have a tough row to hoe.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Oaklawn

While Durkin is irreplaceable, I really love Larry behind the mike. I guess I think the opposite. I loved him at Monmouth. I enjoy him at Gulfstream. He announces the Charles Town classic every year with excitement. Just a difference of opinion I guess. Altough I do think Dooly is tops also.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM
helicopter11

Listening to Durkin, its as if he is telling us a story.
Listening to Collmus, its as if he is reading us a book.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Havre de Grace

I'd like to see John Imbriale get it.

Blaise Pascal
Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Arlington Park

Collmus is turning into the Ryan Seacrest of announcers. It's not that he's bad...it's just how in the heck does he get all of the top gigs?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
Collmus is turning into the Ryan Seacrest of announcers. It's not that he's bad...it's just how in the heck does he get all of the top gigs?
Exactly. Wish I'd been smart enough to come up with that analogy.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM
The Curragh

Why stop there? Larry Collmus should call Royal Ascot! And the Canadian Triple Crown!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Fairgrounds

Dr. Dave Rodman!!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 AM
The Curragh

John G Dooley!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Narragansett Park

If anyone was listening to TVG yesterday afternoon while Frank Mirahmadi was broadcasting, he said that he did apply for the announcer's role and was rejected approximately two weeks back. (He actually said that he received the e-mail while he was on the air at TVG with Nick Hines.) Yesterday, he stated that expected NYRA to make an announcement in 24-48 hours.

For those thinking John Dooley, wasn't he part of the NYRA staff at one point as an understudy and left New York to take an announcing position in the midwest?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Narragansett Park

The leading candidates would still be Larry Collmus, Sam McKee, and Vic Stauffer (given the west coast connection with Martin Panza and team).

Racing only two nights per week, you have to wonder if the announcer's booth at the new Big M has just gotten too crowded for both Sam and Ken - in fact, have heard Ken calling at Pocono Downs a couple of times over the last two weeks.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Flemington

Didn't Collmus just sign on for Churchill? He's going to jump ship already?

Truthfully I hope it's not him. While I think he's an excellent caller, I personally like him in smaller doses. I know I look forward to hearing him at Gulfstream after enduring a couple of months of winter in the northeast. Hearing him is like a sign that better racing is here and spring is right around the corner. I also can't help thinking about summer and the many days I have spent at Monmouth listening to his relaxed style. I'll always associate him with those venues.

It's that style that I'm not sure that I could listen to for the foreseeable future calling what I consider the best racing in the country (I'm aware that I'm biased). Whoever it is has tremendous shoes to fill. I could listen to Durkin call cockroach races, he's simply the best. I'm with Joey, I hope it's Dooley.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Flemington

Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick · 15m
If reports true that @larrycollmus new race caller at @TheNYRA, then both @GulfstreamPark & @ChurchillDowns have announcer job openings.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Havre de Grace

TV report its Collmus

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3530849.shtml?cat=30

From another board; today at 10:30am , maybe the answer .

"NYRA making "major" announcement tomorrow at 10:30am. Assume its the new announcer."

Maybe IMbriale does winter racing calls like before and Collmus keeps doing Gulfstream as Durkin once did i believe, then comes north for Belmont on. ?

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 08-13-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Flemington

David Grening ‏@DRFGrening · 7m
At 10:30, @larrycollmus will be named NYRA's new track announcer. He is not scheduled to start however, until April 2015.

Meh.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Larry Collmus is like the Fullback or lead-blocker for our man Travis Stone.

Maybe, Travis will land the Churchill Downs, or Gulfstream gig now. I believe he's done past work for both entities.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Oriental Park

Hard to replace a legend...LC is fine but not much excitement with his calls IMO.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Havre de Grace

[quote=Benny;992608]TV report its Collmus

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3530849.shtml?cat=30

From another board; today at 10:30am , maybe the answer .

"NYRA making "major" announcement tomorrow at 10:30am. Assume its the new announcer."

Maybe IMbriale does winter racing calls like before and Collmus keeps doing Gulfstream as Durkin once did i believe, then comes north for Belmont on. ?[/QUOTE]

Collmus starts NYRA job in April 2015. Imbriale will call Belmont fall meet and Aqueduct from Dec-Mar. Collmus keeps Gulfstream winter gig. After this year Imbriale will call Dec-Mar and Colmus will do the rest of the year. Per David Grening on twitter.

Blaise Pascal
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Didn't Collmus just sign on for Churchill? He's going to jump ship already?

Truthfully I hope it's not him. While I think he's an excellent caller, I personally like him in smaller doses. I know I look forward to hearing him at Gulfstream after enduring a couple of months of winter in the northeast. Hearing him is like a sign that better racing is here and spring is right around the corner. I also can't help thinking about summer and the many days I have spent at Monmouth listening to his relaxed style. I'll always associate him with those venues.

It's that style that I'm not sure that I could listen to for the foreseeable future calling what I consider the best racing in the country (I'm aware that I'm biased). Whoever it is has tremendous shoes to fill. I could listen to Durkin call cockroach races, he's simply the best. I'm with Joey, I hope it's Dooley.
I feel the same.