Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Del Mar

Default Mel Gibson's Anti-Semetic Tirade

As most of you probably know, Mel Gibson was arrested for a DUI early Friday morning. The details of the arrest are just starting to come out. Apparently Gibson became very combative with officers and threatened them. He said that if they arrested him that he would "get even with them". He then went into a anti-semitic tirade saying that " ****ing Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a Jew?"
Mel Gibson's father is a well-known anti-semite who denies that the Holocaust ever happened. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this case.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Arlington Park

I remember a couple years ago some rabbi called for Gibson's arrest under the Patriot Act through a Jewish defense league for a movie he made. Maybe no love lost in either direction there.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Pretty freaky behavior for only blowing a .12 Sissy!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
boldruler

Mel Gibson is another religious nut. I don't blame Jews, Christians, Muslims, I blame all religions. On any given day one is crazier than the other. Irrational people that live in the Stone Age, all of them.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Mel Gibson is another religious nut. I don't blame Jews, Christians, Muslims, I blame all religions. On any given day one is crazier than the other. Irrational people that live in the Stone Age, all of them.
If you study the pagan religions, you might change your mind. There are many earth-bound religions that don't teach superiority or an "inside track" to the Almighty! One thing for sure, Wicca never started any wars!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 PM
The Curragh

Mel Gibson is a great spokesman for my religion, im glad hes on our side
Old 07-29-2006, 04:00 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
If you study the pagan religions, you might change your mind. There are many earth-bound religions that don't teach superiority or an "inside track" to the Almighty! One thing for sure, Wicca never started any wars!

It doesn't matter which religion you choose, they are all just something that some people conjured together, probably over drinks, and people grasped on to them. I am all for believing in a God, but religions and their rules are all man made nonsense.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
Mel Gibson is a great spokesman for my religion, im glad hes on our side
Gibson is hardly a great spokesman for Christians, not after those shameful comments. His anti-semetic comments are disgraceful. The comments are incredibly ignorant too. As a Christian, I am ashamed of his comments. I guess his comments are not that shocking though considering that his father thinks that the Holocaust never happened.
If there's one thing that I can't figure out, it's Christians that don't like Jews. If you are a Christian, then your religion is based on the Bible. In the Bible, God says that Jews are his people. So how could a Christian dislike Jews? That would basically be going against your own religion. How would a Christian expect to have God's favor if they dislike God's people?
One thing funny about Gibson's commnets is that his agent of 20 years is Jewish.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
It doesn't matter which religion you choose, they are all just something that some people conjured together, probably over drinks, and people grasped on to them. I am all for believing in a God, but religions and their rules are all man made nonsense.
I understand your point...the only "rule" in Wicca is stated below! All religions have their methodology and rituals, I don't really see a problem there. The problem arises when a religion teaches that their beliefs and rituals are the "only way" to the Almighty.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but Wicca's been around barely 100 years; give it time.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Yeah, but Wicca's been around barely 100 years; give it time.
Actually...Wicca or Witchcraft is possibly the oldest of the pagan religions, recent archaeological discoveries indicate that it may have been practiced 30,000 years ago which pre-dates Christianity by 28,000 years!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
boldruler

Quote:
I understand your point...the only "rule" in Wicca is stated below! All religions have their methodology and rituals, I don't really see a problem there. The problem arises when a religion teaches that their beliefs and rituals are the "only way" to the Almighty.
Heh, if it makes you happy and doesn't bother anyone else, I am all for it. Religions though are usually about money and power. Nothing else.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Actually...Wicca or Witchcraft is possibly the oldest of the pagan religions, recent archaeological discoveries indicate that it may have been practiced 30,000 years ago which pre-dates Christianity by 28,000 years!
Somer, I respectfully disagree. I think Wicca as it's practiced today arose out of the fascination with spiritualism in the late 19th century-- making a connection between it and the ancient pagan religions is a bit of a stretch that I think some Wiccans like to do in order to give themselves a feeling of superiority over more mainstream religions ("But we're older!").

Which is not to detract from its legitimacy as a genuine faith. Christianity was once only 100 years old, too. Likewise Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hindu-- they all started somewhere.

And I've been a practicing Wiccan for 14 years. There, I'm out of the broom closet. So much for my political career.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Del Mar

I am glad to see that Gibson wasted no time in taking full repsonsibilty for his behavior. He has fully apologized and did not make any excuses.

Here is an excerpt of his apology: " I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse." With regard to his anti-Jewish comments, Gibson said, "I said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable." He also apologized for "my belligerent behavior" and the way he treated the police officers.

I respect Mel for apologizing and taking full responsibility for his bevavior.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 07-29-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I am glad to see that Gibson wasted no time in taking full repsonsibilty for his behavior. He has fully apologized and did not make any excuses.

Here is an excerpt of his apology: " I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse." With regard to his anti-Jewish comments, Gibson said, "I said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable." He also apologized for "my belligerent behavior" and the way he treated the police officers.

I respect Mel for apologizing and taking full responsibility for his bevavior.
I give him props for apologizing, too. When will celebrities and politicians learn the fastest way to make something go away is to say "I'm sorry?" So good for him for stepping up and doing it.

(But am I still allowed to think he's a nutcase?)
Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM
boldruler

Quote:
I give him props for apologizing, too. When will celebrities and politicians learn the fastest way to make something go away is to say "I'm sorry?" So good for him for stepping up and doing it.

(But am I still allowed to think he's a nutcase?)

I give him credit for that too. That is refreshing. He is still a wacko though. I have to admit I will go see Apocolypto though.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Somer, I respectfully disagree. I think Wicca as it's practiced today arose out of the fascination with spiritualism in the late 19th century-- making a connection between it and the ancient pagan religions is a bit of a stretch that I think some Wiccans like to do in order to give themselves a feeling of superiority over more mainstream religions ("But we're older!").

Which is not to detract from its legitimacy as a genuine faith. Christianity was once only 100 years old, too. Likewise Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hindu-- they all started somewhere.

And I've been a practicing Wiccan for 14 years. There, I'm out of the broom closet. So much for my political career.
Well, I know some Wiccans believe as you do, others prefer to trace their beliefs further back. I use the terms "witch" and "wiccan" interchangably while some folks would take offense at being referred to as one or the other. Gardnerian Wiccans would rightly trace their traditions back only a bit over 60 years while some practicing witch covens relate to the Craft which predates Christianity...a matter of personal choice. I guess some enjoy being part of something "ancient", myself I never really gave that aspect much thought. I would argue however that witchcraft has to predate the 12th century as that marked the beginnings of the Burning Times!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:22 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I remember a couple years ago some rabbi called for Gibson's arrest under the Patriot Act through a Jewish defense league for a movie he made. Maybe no love lost in either direction there.
The JDL is hardcore. They go overboard imo. I dont think they represent the mainstream.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I know some Wiccans believe as you do, others prefer to trace their beliefs further back. I use the terms "witch" and "wiccan" interchangably while some folks would take offense at being referred to as one or the other. Gardnerian Wiccans would rightly trace their traditions back only a bit over 60 years while some practicing witch covens relate to the Craft which predates Christianity...a matter of personal choice. I guess some enjoy being part of something "ancient", myself I never really gave that aspect much thought. I would argue however that witchcraft has to predate the 12th century as that marked the beginnings of the Burning Times!
And see, I see the "Burning Times" as witches' attempts to give themselves their own Holocaust. Most of the victims of the assorted Witch Trials weren't "witches" in any relgious sense of the word; they were Christians who were unfortunate enough to be A)women with property B)women or men who annoyed someone in power C)irritating neighbors or D)any or all of the above. The numbers of those who died have been grossly inflated, and again, most of them weren't practicing witchcraft as a religion- they were using folk remedies, etc. independent of a faith. Heck, my great-aunt knew more folk magic than anyone I knew and she was a devout Christian. Didn't stop her from telling you to rub a potato on a wart on Good Friday and then bury it and as the potato rotted so would the wart (my dad STILL yammers about how that cured his wart). But I grew up in Central PA where folk magic is rife and is mostly practiced by Christians.

I'm not disputing people were burned or hanged or pressed to death as witches, but I don't think a single one of the witches practicing today is practicing anything like what was practiced in pre-Christian times or Dark Ages times. Modern witchcraft seems to me to be a blend of Christianity, Eastern thought, spiritualism and New Age thinking, with a focus on the feminine in Divinity. Which is what attracted me-- I want God to have my face, too, not just my father's and brother's and husband's.

But to each his and her own-- I figure the roots of any religion are not nearly as important as what one does with one's faith in the here and now anyway.

Which is not to say I didn't go through my phase of "It's an ancient faith" and "Burning times! Never again!" But, perhaps unfortunately, I kept reading and researching and eventually came to the belief that "witches" in history and "witches" in religion are two very different things and that's fine. The research also gave me the knowledge that Christmas trees are in fact ancient pagan symbols (and cultural ones), and that most Christian holidays are based around ancient pagan holidays (and many churches built on old pagan sites). Which is why the annual stuff in the media about a "war on Christmas" always amuses me.

AND-- all that said, I'm always astonished and a bit humbled when I come across a man who looks into the Craft, as it were. The great Western Faiths very clearly state man is primary and woman secondary, and for a man to look at a faith that says they're both equal (though different) is a man willing to give up some status. And that's an extraordinary thing, Somer, and I tip my hat to you-- I find it a very admirable thing.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM

My God I'm long-winded. My apologies. I should never have learned to touch-type.