Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Washington Park

Very sad news. A true horse racing character. Blessings to his family.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
I’m in contact with a family friend from Schenectady. Coached Joe in Little League and grew up with his mother. He’ll keep us informed. Horribly sad day. So clear how much he meant to everyone in the unique way a community like this ‘lives’.
Thanks Steve, you’re the best.

I have a proposal for us all in the interim- what if we all chip in and bet whatever his Derby selection would have been in memoriam? $5, $10, $20 each, can probably have DeRosa help set up an account specific for this. If it wins it goes to his kids/postmortem expenses.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
Thanks Steve, you’re the best.

I have a proposal for us all in the interim- what if we all chip in and bet whatever his Derby selection would have been in memoriam? $5, $10, $20 each, can probably have DeRosa help set up an account specific for this. If it wins it goes to his kids/postmortem expenses.
Spoke to Ed and he’s happy to help set up an account if we want to go forward with this.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Belmont Park

Count me in
Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Morris Park

Me too. What a shame. I always got a big kick out of Joe. RIP kid.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Steve Byk

Those wishing to honor Joe's memory and help his sons, should donate to the 'Joe Silverio Memorial Fund' memorial fund being administered through the funeral home.

If people want to bet Derby for Joe, please do it individually and donate winnings through this method.

Joe Silverio Memorial Fund
Rossi & Ditoro Funeral Home
501 Union St
Schenectady, NY 12305
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Havre de Grace

I am in for a wager in Joe's honor.

He was a real character, needless to say, but had a tremendous passion for the game and had really developed as a handicapper. Such a tremendous loss for his young sons and your heart really breaks for them.

RIP.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM
The Curragh

You don't often see someone make an image comeback like RHT pulled off. I think it's fair to say that he was not taken seriously early on here at Derby Trail. But he stayed with it, got sharper, and slowly earned the respect of many. (Talk about long odds.) I really admired him for that.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
You don't often see someone make an image comeback like RHT pulled off. I think it's fair to say that he was not taken seriously early on here at Derby Trail. But he stayed with it, got sharper, and slowly earned the respect of many. (Talk about long odds.) I really admired him for that.
And he took a lot of sh*t without blowing a gasket which I admired and could only hope to learn from.. His passing hits me harder than the passing of a lot of people I actually know...
Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
And he took a lot of sh*t without blowing a gasket which I admired and could only hope to learn from.. His passing hits me harder than the passing of a lot of people I actually know...
Brutal. Well put Jim. my feelings exactly. Things that happen to people are hard to ever come to grips with. This news leaves me at a total loss.

Ed
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Oaklawn

Shame. Way too young.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. !!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Steve Byk

As we did for Steve Dellinger after his untimely passing, and at the perfect suggestion of Hossy, RHT will be memorialized here with the Selections Room rechristened as the 'Joe Silverio Simulcast Center'..
Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
As we did for Steve Dellinger after his untimely passing, and at the perfect suggestion of Hossy, RHT will be memorialized here with the Selections Room rechristened as the 'Joe Silverio Simulcast Center'..
Old 04-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
cheers Steve....
Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Hialeah Park

Incredible idea Hoss and thank you Steve for facilitating it! The irony is deep that the room he was told to stay out of will now be named in his honor. Oh so fitting. He's been on the minds of many of us, whether we clashed or agreed with him. Looking forward to being a part of Philcski's group that he reached out to DeRosa for and helping his family realize the type of reach that the highly opinionated cat has!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Del Mar

Wow, how very sad. He was like an institution here, agree or disagree with him the passion was unmistakable always. So young, very very sad news. Prayers to his family. RIP Joey
Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 PM
The Curragh

Wow. I have been away too long. So sad. RIP Rocky.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:23 AM
Louisiana Downs

Late on the news here... absolute shocker to think we won’t see RHT touting the latest Baffert or California 2yo later this year. I truly mean that - the passion he had for the game was unmatched.

Get them home safe, Joey. Exacta box: Game Winner, Roadster, Improbable