Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator
Some excellent points, Cannon

They could've come up with a way to keep this guy (Lee) and had a dream rotation going into the season, but they cheaped out … which is why they'll probably never beat NY or Boston in the Series…
It pains me to agree with a USC sicko but you very well may be right.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
LMAO

Nothing better than getting under your skin and watching you go off, Antichrist32

i just dont understand how you can be a fan of this team, who has done more for us in the past two years than any two years, and be so freaking cynicle or however that is spelled.

You should be overjoyed we have Halladay for the next 4 years.

I am with you on the Phils being cheap about Lee but damn, things are still looking excellent for us this year.

Be satisfied.

And can you believe McRib is actually playing okay? I think he's played his best football of his career the past 4 games. Two different 4th quarter comebacks is unheard of for him.. and it all has to do with McReid actually running the ball now. Just think, maybe if we'd taken some pressure off McRib the past 10 years by using our damn running game maybe we would have won a superbowl!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Gulfstream Park

A guy that went 2-0 in the WS and 4-0 overall in the playoffs deserved better than to be treated like some second-rate set-up guy a few weeks later, Antitrust32.

Yo Cannon … ya like the new avy?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
How bout the last 50 or 60 years, horseofcourse?

How does the Phils record match up with NY over that time period?

ROOKIE call by Amaro

NY would've found a way...
last 60 years?? no team matches the Yankees or is remotely close to their ballpark. It's simply a ploy by Amaro. I think he thinks they would have been overconfident ala the Mets if they had both Lee and Halladay so he ditched one of them to keep the team grounded. How's that! fine...I'll succomb to you, Cannon and the rest....

....there. My argument is like trying to argue snow isn't white for the most part. I try!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
That's simply not true. Are you seriously telling me any general baseball fan has no clue or inkling who lost the 1975 World Series?? Really?? Or who lost the 1986 World Series?? Really?? The losers of those Series' are as much of baseball lore as the winners. You need to go watch James Earl Jones' speech in Field of Dreams again. (without a loser, noone wins.)
Yeah it's easy bringing up maybe 2 out of the top 3 World Series ever. Bottom line is, nobody cares who comes in second.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Yeah it's easy bringing up maybe 2 out of the top 3 World Series ever. Bottom line is, nobody cares who comes in second.
Well, I'm pretty much a loser...so it matters to me!! I don't need internet help...
2008 Rays
2007 Rockies
2006 Tigers
2005 Astros
2004 Cardinals
2003 Yankees
2002 Giants
2001 Yankees
2000 Mets
1999 Braves
1998 Padres
1997 Indians
1996 Braves
1995 Indians
1994 no one
1993 Phillies
1992 Braves
1991 Braves
1990 A's

am I close???
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Well, I'm pretty much a loser...so it matters to me!! I don't need internet help...
2008 Rays
2007 Rockies
2006 Tigers
2005 Astros
2004 Cardinals
2003 Yankees
2002 Giants
2001 Yankees
2000 Mets
1999 Braves
1998 Padres
1997 Indians
1996 Braves
1995 Indians
1994 no one
1993 Phillies
1992 Braves
1991 Braves
1990 A's

am I close???
Don't know, Don't care.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Don't know, Don't care.
Well, you're obviously a winner. Some people actually have the ability to remember who the winner beats in a big game. Sorry, but it's true.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Flemington

Quote:
LMAO

Nothing better than getting under your skin and watching you go off, Antichrist32
She's a feisty dyke. She could have a hidden testicle.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Sha Tin

Update on the Cliff lee giveaway...

THE BIG NAMES: The Blue Jays send RHP Roy Halladay to the Phillies, who send LHP Cliff Lee to the Mariners in a separate but congruent trade.

THE PROSPECTS: The Phillies send RHP Kyle Drabek, C Travis D’Arnaud, and OF Michael Taylor to Toronto and receive RHP Phillippe Aumont, OF Tyson Gillies, and RHP J.C. Ramirez from Seattle.

This was the big one.

The Blue Jays cashed in their ace for a potential top-of-the-rotation starter in Drabek, who has repaid their faith with a quality start to his 2010 season in Double-A, where he spent part of 2009 as well. The 22 year-old could easily be in Triple-A by mid-season and in Toronto by next year.

D’Arnaud has shown off more power as a Blue Jay (.851 OPS in 29 games) than he did as a Phillie. Should that trend continue, it would elevate him from a potential regular to a potential all-star catcher. He’s still far away (only in High-A ball this season), but he’s in his second full-season of minor league ball and is closing in on 1000 professional at-bats already despite still being only 21-years-old. D’Arnaud will need to work on his plate discipline ( his 2.01 K/BB ratio is too high), especially if this season’s power display is a fluke, but he should still develop into a player who can contribute for the Jays.

Taylor was flipped to the A’s immediately, and we’ll discuss him below.

To make up for the players they gave up to get Halladay, the Phillies sent incumbent ace Cliff Lee to Seattle for prospects to replenish their farm system. The only problem (besides the obvious lack of killer instinct) is that the trio they got in return isn’t nearly as good as the trio they sent away.

Aumont has all the raw ability he had when he was drafted in the first round by Seattle in 2007 but clearly no clue how to use it. He has run into the standard mechanical issues that most pitchers his size (6’7”) have when they try to repeat their delivery, but those are multiplied by two other factors – (1) Aumont is from Canada, meaning that he did not get to play nearly as many games as an amateur as prep players in warmer climates, and (2) between two organizations, Aumont has been jerked in and out of the rotation without ever having a chance to acclimate himself to one style of pitching.

Back in the starting rotation in Double-A this year, the results have not been good. The Phillies have tried to refine his mechanics to make him more consistent but all it’s done is vary his velocity from one start to the next. His mid-90’s fastball sometimes shows up in the high-80’s instead and the 21 year-old has walked as many batters as he has struck out. The book is far from closed on Aumont but he’ll need to get the mechanics under control and hope that the Phillies find a home for him and keep him there.

Gillies has been equally as disappointing since becoming a Phillie. While expectations were to be tempered considering he was coming off a career season in an extreme hitters league, certainly more than a .237/.282/.340 performance was expected. Gillies’ BABIP is down almost .100 points from last season, where it was not unsustainably high, so some bad luck can be attributed to his struggles. However, the low BABIP has mostly been caused by a low line drive rate, which signals that Gillies just isn’t squaring up Double-A pitching. The 21 year-old has also battled some injuries this season so there’s no reason to think Gillies can’t turn his 2010 campaign around, but so far the Phillies can’t like what they’ve seen.

Ramirez is the only Phillies acquisition that has performed to his career levels, and his 4.10 ERA and 8 K/9 are right in line with what he has done in the past. Unfortunately for the Phillies, Ramirez
necessarily project as a future starter and may find his home in the bullpen.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Gulfstream Park

Yeah, why doesn't it surprise me that these "prospects" they got for Lee aren't panning out.

Still can't believe this guy (Amaro) let him go.

I know the guy has made some good moves with the club ... but he had a chance to have two bona-fide killers at the top of the rotation while going for a second world championship in three seasons ... and the genius let Lee go for those great prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
To make up for the players they gave up to get Halladay, the Phillies sent incumbent ace Cliff Lee to Seattle for prospects to replenish their farm system. The only problem (besides the obvious lack of killer instinct) is that the trio they got in return isn’t nearly as good as the trio they sent away.
AMEN
Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
Yeah, why doesn't it surprise me that these "prospects" they got for Lee aren't panning out.

Still can't believe this guy (Amaro) let him go.

I know the guy has made some good moves with the club ... but he had a chance to have two bona-fide killers at the top of the rotation while going for a second world championship in three seasons ... and the genius let Lee go for those great prospects.

AMEN
I am inclined to agree with SO.
While I understand trading a chip (especially one who is going to command a ton of money in the off season) for prospects and your teams future.
But why worry about the future, when you have a team that could win right now? Having both Halladay and Lee for the playoffs could have had serious implications for the Phills winning their 2nd tittle in 3 years.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I am inclined to agree with SO.
While I understand trading a chip (especially one who is going to command a ton of money in the off season) for prospects and your teams future.
But why worry about the future, when you have a team that could win right now? Having both Halladay and Lee for the playoffs could have had serious implications for the Phills winning their 2nd tittle in 3 years.
Yeah especially if Lee gets traded to a team that winds up playing against Philly