Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Francona has a QUICK HOOK doesn't he?

Not enough that he blew game 2 by keeping Becket in there; tonight we're forced to endure the Wakefield home run derby.

Let's add Tino to the RETARDED club.

Why bother rooting for these mother****ers when they can't get out of their own way.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Belmont Park

Considering that he's 0-2, giving up 11 runs on 17 hits in three previous outings this season against the Rays, Francona is probably counting his blessings that he got almost 3 innings out of him.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
Considering that he's 0-2, giving up 11 runs on 17 hits in three previous outings this season against the Rays, Francona is probably counting his blessings that he got almost 3 innings out of him.
Honestly I know this is a redboard but wouldnt Paul Byrd have been a better choice?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

3-1 down is manageable

5-1 down is probably out of reach

too bad we couldn't have tried to get 5 innings out of him, he deserves it, doesn't he Terry?

not like there's an urgency for a win on the part of the Red Sox

P.S. if this was supposed to be the Sox 'throw away' game, then maybe the IDIOT manager shouldn't have blown game 2

from a good chance to be up 2 games to 0 to a good chance of being down 3 games to 1

NICE
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Oriental Park

Byrds the worst. Wakefield and Byrd are one in the same except Wakefield throws the knucker 65. Byrd throws his fastball 65
Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Byrds the worst. Wakefield and Byrd are one in the same except Wakefield throws the knucker 65. Byrd throws his fastball 65
Byrd isnt very good but Wakefield has been a total disaster the last three playoffs and he has an ugly record against Tampa. Byrd did pitch well last year in the post season. It is not a great situation either way.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Honestly I know this is a redboard but wouldnt Paul Byrd have been a better choice?

The thinking was that at this point in his career it made more sense to start Wakefield as his history has always shown that he has been successful against this club, with the exception of the two starts this year. Obviously given tonights early innings it is easy to hate on Tito given the early 5-0 deficit.

The truth is the guy has rarely gotten the credit he deserved from the 2 WS he won, never complains and has shown often the ability to handle difficult personalities in ways nothing short of miraculous.

The injuries and the Manny BS this year has proven too much for anyone to handle. They were good this year but not great by any means but T Fran is not where the blame should be left. Papi's injury, Beckett's injury (numbness in his hand), Rameriez refusing to play for 20 million, Schilling's arm injury, all have added up to more than Bay, Kotsay and Masterson could overcome as plusses.

Give the Rays the credit they deserve they have come of age.......
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Byrd isnt very good but Wakefield has been a total disaster the last three playoffs and he has an ugly record against Tampa. Byrd did pitch well last year in the post season. It is not a great situation either way.
19-3 prior to 2008......3 starts this year with ERA slightly < 6.00 but 3 starts VS 22 decisions and knucleballs come and go in effectiveness.

If he has been money tonight all you would have heard is about how his back was hurting him during this season, which it was, and how good he is.....again give Tampa their due!!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
19-3 prior to 2008......3 starts this year with ERA slightly < 6.00 but 3 starts VS 22 decisions and knucleballs come and go in effectiveness.

If he has been money tonight all you would have heard is about how his back was hurting him during this season, which it was, and how good he is.....again give Tampa their due!!
His record against tampa prior to this year is really meaningless considering the lineup changes. He has been dreadful in the last three postseasons and has been beat up pretty good by Tampa this year. He has given up 26 runs his last 23 post season innings. Byrd isnt great or even good but I was a bit surprised by the move. Boston has been hampered by injuries and they do miss Lowell a lot more than you hear about. Throw in Ortiz hurting and Beckett never really being healthy the entire year, Drew being banged up as usual and Varitek's becoming totally useless at the plate and they have overachived a bit. Tampa is a good team, well balanced, sufficent power, very good defense, speed, very good starters, good bullpen outside of the closer.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
His record against tampa prior to this year is really meaningless considering the lineup changes. He has been dreadful in the last three postseasons and has been beat up pretty good by Tampa this year. He has given up 26 runs his last 23 post season innings. Byrd isnt great or even good but I was a bit surprised by the move. Boston has been hampered by injuries and they do miss Lowell a lot more than you hear about. Throw in Ortiz hurting and Beckett never really being healthy the entire year, Drew being banged up as usual and Varitek's becoming totally useless at the plate and they have overachived a bit. Tampa is a good team, well balanced, sufficent power, very good defense, speed, very good starters, good bullpen outside of the closer.
Stop saying sensible things tempered with factual knowledge.....It makes it tough to argue with you!!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Del Mar

did you guys notice last night that the Rays first three hitters all were first ball swinging? All outs mind you (a three pitch inning for Lester).

Do you think that was gameplanned?

Do you think it helped in any way?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
did you guys notice last night that the Rays first three hitters all were first ball swinging? All outs mind you (a three pitch inning for Lester).

Do you think that was gameplanned?

Do you think it helped in any way?
Maybe they were lulling him into a false sense of security? Honestly i missed the first 2 innings.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Coach Pants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00vd5HM_08
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Maybe they were lulling him into a false sense of security? Honestly i missed the first 2 innings.
It was interesting to watch. I was sitting with a friend from work who is a die hard socks fan. I dont know about lulling him but i guess you can put it that way. By the time you turned it on in the third, they were taking him deep into the count.

I just thought it was odd. I have watched baseball for a long time, and i have never seen an opening side in a playoff game first ball, fast ball swing 1-2-3 into outs.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
It was interesting to watch. I was sitting with a friend from work who is a die hard socks fan. I dont know about lulling him but i guess you can put it that way. By the time you turned it on in the third, they were taking him deep into the count.

I just thought it was odd. I have watched baseball for a long time, and i have never seen an opening side in a playoff game first ball, fast ball swing 1-2-3 into outs.
I was only kidding but maybe he has been throwing a high number of first pitch fastballs for strikes and they wanted to take advantage of it? A three pitch inning is rare at anytime.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I'm thinking a less than rousing edition tonight
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Friggin' umps.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Thistley Downs

Gee...they only need 3 grand slams to get ahead.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Thistley Downs

It's getting exciting...ain't it?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Thistley Downs

Now if they will just apply themselves 11 runs in one inning is not going to be that big of a deal.