Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Tim Minear tries again!!!

One of the best creative minds in TV, Tim Minear will try again to get a fair shake from Fox, his new show, "Drive" will premier Sunday, April 15 with a two hour pilot (8-10pm). Fox has ordered 13 episodes for the first year but with them, you never know. After it's premier, "Drive" will move to it's regular spot (at least for now) on Monday (beginning the next night) at 8pm as the lead in to 24. Nathan Fillion was cast in the lead role ("Captain Tightpants"/Calab) and Amy Acker (Fred/Illyria) was just added to the cast. I wish Tim luck as he sure has had enough mis-fortune , especially with Fox. His recent record:
Angel (WB)...one of the best shows in TV history, cancelled by a money-starved network prematurely after 5 seasons.
Firefly...cancelled after 11 episodes by Fox
Wonderfalls...cancelled after only 4 episodes by Fox
The Inside...I think Fox pulled the plug after 5-6 episodes
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
One of the best creative minds in TV, Tim Minear will try again to get a fair shake from Fox, his new show, "Drive" will premier Sunday, April 15 with a two hour pilot (8-10pm). Fox has ordered 13 episodes for the first year but with them, you never know. After it's premier, "Drive" will move to it's regular spot (at least for now) on Monday (beginning the next night) at 8pm as the lead in to 24. Nathan Fillion was cast in the lead role ("Captain Tightpants"/Calab) and Amy Acker (Fred/Illyria) was just added to the cast. I wish Tim luck as he sure has had enough mis-fortune , especially with Fox. His recent record:
Angel (WB)...one of the best shows in TV history, cancelled by a money-starved network prematurely after 5 seasons.
Firefly...cancelled after 11 episodes by Fox
Wonderfalls...cancelled after only 4 episodes by Fox
The Inside...I think Fox pulled the plug after 5-6 episodes
Well the placement of the two-hour pilot was atrocious. Stack it up right alongside Desperate Housewives and Extreme Home Makeover?!

That gaurantees that nobody at all will watch it.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Well the placement of the two-hour pilot was atrocious. Stack it up right alongside Desperate Housewives and Extreme Home Makeover?!

That gaurantees that nobody at all will watch it.
Well, there are a lot worse spots to start! The Monday night spot as lead-in to 24 is nice, Prison Break wraps up two weeks prior and they fill with House reruns until Drive takes over. I know little about this one...it centers around an underground cross-country road race with 14 main characters, it sounds rather ambitious for a character-driven producer such as Tim but I have faith in him...he's done some of the best shows ever that nobody watched (lol)...Wonderfalls was such a nice little light-hearted concept that did very well in DVD, The Inside was always too dark for network TV...but I really liked it. I hope it makes it to DVD...I think they did shoot about 12-13 episodes. I want to see the one with the 800 pound chair-ridden cannibalistic serial killer who lured anorexic girls to his house to eat...lol!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Well, there are a lot worse spots to start! The Monday night spot as lead-in to 24 is nice, Prison Break wraps up two weeks prior and they fill with House reruns until Drive takes over. I know little about this one...it centers around an underground cross-country road race with 14 main characters, it sounds rather ambitious for a character-driven producer such as Tim but I have faith in him...he's done some of the best shows ever that nobody watched (lol)...Wonderfalls was such a nice little light-hearted concept that did very well in DVD, The Inside was always too dark for network TV...but I really liked it. I hope it makes it to DVD...I think they did shoot about 12-13 episodes. I want to see the one with the 800 pound chair-ridden cannibalistic serial killer who lured anorexic girls to his house to eat...lol!
huh?!

the lead-in to 24 is a great spot for it i think, but i just don't get the placement of the pilot if you're trying to generate attention for it.

did you ever see Hot Properties? It was a stupid Friday night comedy, but I actually thought it was funny, and I don't enjoy many comedies outside of the Office. It made it about 8 weeks and then was just gone. Just like Commander in Chief......the two best new shows of last year in my opinion, both gone at the same time. It was rough!

At least Grey's Anatomy survived
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
huh?!

the lead-in to 24 is a great spot for it i think, but i just don't get the placement of the pilot if you're trying to generate attention for it.

did you ever see Hot Properties? It was a stupid Friday night comedy, but I actually thought it was funny, and I don't enjoy many comedies outside of the Office. It made it about 8 weeks and then was just gone. Just like Commander in Chief......the two best new shows of last year in my opinion, both gone at the same time. It was rough!

That's the one problem with Tv today...networks slash shows often without giving them a chance. Fox is the worst, they have creative people who come up with great concepts...then they mutilate and destroy them! Wonderfalls was moved around and cancelled before anyone had a chance to watch...if you enjoy romantic comedy, you'd love that show. Firefly...well, I could complain for days about Fox there, after Joss shot a 2 hour pilot they come to Tim and him and demand a new initial episode...they do this on a Friday and expect the script Monday morning!! They got it! And the show was shown out of order (the pilot shown last)! Not to mention being moved around...terrible! Then again, even the pay channels do crazy stuff...ShowTime axed their best series ever (Dead Like Me) after only two 15 episode seasons. I hope Dexter has a better fate!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
huh?!

Never saw Hot Properties...I watched a couple episodes of Commander in Chief and thought it was good! The 800 pound serial killer concept speaks for itself...must see TV!!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Balletto

I LOVED Dead Like Me. Such a funny show. I dont watch much tv but I remember setting aside time to watch it.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
I LOVED Dead Like Me. Such a funny show. I dont watch much tv but I remember setting aside time to watch it.
I have both years on DVD...wonderful show, great cast...Ellen Murr was perfect as George!